How Do You Calculate the Radius of a Copper Cable Based on Current and Voltage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bagwellaj
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
bagwellaj
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Electricity/Potential Difference

Homework Statement


A cylindrical copper cable carries a current of 1060 A. There is a potential difference of 1.6 x 10^-2 V between two points on the cable that are .26 m apart. What is the radius of the cable?

Homework Equations



R= V/I R= p(L/A) There may be more formulas needed.

p of Copper is 1.72 x 10^-8

The Attempt at a Solution


I divided the given V by the given current to get the resistance, which came out to be 1.509 x 10^-5. I plugged that into R= p(L/A) using 1.72 x 10^-8 for p, .26 for L, and (pi)(r^2) for A. I solved for r this way and got 9.712 x 10^-3 m. Is this right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It's right. What could be wrong?