How Do You Calculate the Release Speed of a Basketball Shot?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ctlpsl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motion Projection
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
ctlpsl
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am having a difficult time with the motion equation when the problem only includes an X value and an angle. The problem is to fin the velease speed of the ball when a player makes a shot to a basket when he is 6.02 m from the basket and the basket is 2.05 m above the floor. The player is 2.05 m tall and the launch angle is 25 degrees.

Attached is the method I used to do the calculation. I feel like I left something out.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
V0=8.78m/s is right if we take g=9.8m/s^2.

by using
x=V0 cos(theta) t
y=V0 sin(theta) t - 1/2 g t^2

solving these two equations, you'll get the answer! remember y=0 m