1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does the mass of object comes into projectile motion equations?

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    A 78g basketball is launched at an angle is 52.4 degrees from a distance of 14.7 m from the basket. Ball is released at the same height as basket (10 feet). Acceleration is 9.8 m/s2. What speed will the player need to give the ball?

I know that I'm supposed to use the kinematics and trig to figure out the other sides to the triangle.

I found the hypotenuse by doing 14.7 / (cos 52.4) to get 24.09. The last remaining side is found by using (14.7 tan 52.4).

Now what? Where do I put the mass of the basketball into the equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

14.7m is the horizontal distance to the basket - which triangle did you compute the hypotenuse for? Why do you need it?

Everywhere you see an "m" or other symbol indicating that mass goes there.

Instead of worrying about the equations and what you are "supposed" to do - why not consider the physics of the situation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted