How Do You Calculate the Rotational Inertia of a Wheel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
nicolec08
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I'm having a little trouble trying to answer this problem. Here it is:

A force of 22.04 N is applied tangentially to a wheel of radius 0.340 m and gives rise to an angular acceleration of 1.20 rad/s^2. Calculate the rotational inertia of the wheel.

Okay so i attempted the problem, here's what I got.

F=22.04
r= 0.340
m=?
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=1.20 rad/s^2
[tex]\tau[/tex]=Fxr = 7.49

And now I don't know where to finish. All I know is that you need torque to get the moment of inertia, and I need a mass to find the moment of inertia...Help me please!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nicolec08 said:
And now I don't know where to finish. All I know is that you need torque to get the moment of inertia, and I need a mass to find the moment of inertia...Help me please!
If you have the torque and the angular acceleration, you don't need the mass to find the moment of inertia. Hint: How would you write Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion?
 
nicolec08 said:
torque = Tdsin (theta)?
No, that's just the definition of torque.

Newton's 2nd law for translational motion is: F = ma

How would you write the equivalent law for rotational motion? Hint: What would F, m, and a be replaced with?