How Do You Calculate the Sedimentation Coefficient of Escherichia coli?

  • Thread starter Thread starter quietviolence
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coefficient
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
quietviolence
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Escherichia coli data:
molecular weight = 74000g/mol
specific volume = 0.737cm3/g
temperature = 293 K

In a dilute aqueous buffer (0.02M potassium phosphate) at 293.75 K
speed of rotation = 56050 rpm

gave the following results:

Time (min)...x1/2
0.....5.9
20...6
40...6.1
60...6.2
80...6.3
100.....6.4
120.... 6.5
140.....6.6


Homework Equations


This is the equation given to us:

M=(RTs)/(D(1-([tex]\rho[/tex] f *V o))


The Attempt at a Solution


I used an R value of 8.31m2kgmol-1s-2K-1

I rearranged the equation to equal s

However, I got stuck at [tex]\rho[/tex]f*Vo. Using the [tex]\rho[/tex] and V given in the question results in a division by 0.

Could someone explain to me how I find [tex]\rho[/tex] f and V o? I don't need anyone to solve the question, I would like to do that on my own.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for the terrible equations.
The rho is supposed to be rho with a subscript f, and V is V subscript o