How Do You Calculate the Relative Growth Rate of E. coli in a Nutrient Broth?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 16K views
hover
Messages
342
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


-
A common inhabitant of human intestines is the bacterium Escherichia coli. A cell of this bacterium in a nutrient-broth medium divides into two cells every 20 minutes. The initial population of a culture is 63 cells.
-
(a) Find the relative growth rate.

Homework Equations


Well this has to do with exponential growth and decay. So equations that could apply are

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=ky[/tex]
where y is some function, k is a constant and dy/dt is a change in that function

[tex]y(t)=y_0e^k^t[/tex]

where y of t is a function, y of 0 is an initial value, k is a constant and t is time

[tex]y^-^1* \frac{dy}{dt}=k[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



(a) Find the relative growth rate in cells per hour.

well I thought since I know the change in the change of the number of bacteria per minute and the starting number of bacteria, I thought i could do this-

[tex]\frac{1}{63}*\frac{2}{20}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{63}*\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{630}[/tex] cells per minute

[tex]\frac{60}{630}[/tex]cells per hour

[tex].095[/tex]cells per hour

that answer is wrong. I don't know how to go about this as you can clearly tell. can someone give me a kick start?

thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Plug in the values to:

[tex]y(t) = y_0e^{kt}[/tex]

After 20 min you have twice as many...

[tex]126 = 63 e^{k(20)}[/tex]

Now solve for k. Then you will have the equation for how many there are after t min.
 
Start with:
[tex]y(t)=y_{0}e^{kt}[/tex]
Since we have:
[tex]63=y(0)=y_{0}[/tex], we ave determined ONE of the two constants, y_0.

The relative growt rate is, indeed, k.
We know that after t=20 minutes, the population has doubled.
Thus, we have:
[tex]2y_{0}=y(20)=y_{0}e^{20k}[/tex],
which means:
[tex]e^{20k}=2\to{k}=\frac{\ln(2)}{20}[/tex]
Thus, we get:
[tex]y(t)=63e^{\frac{t\ln(2)}{20}}=63*2^{\frac{t}{20}}[/tex]
if you want to make the doubling time explicit, t being understood to be measured in minutes.
 
Thanks guys :). I knew I kind of overlooked this question. I should have known better. k=2.07 cells per hour. I got part a right and once I got that, all the other parts of the question (a-e) fell right out. I thank all of you.

-Hover