How Do You Calculate the Relative Growth Rate of E. coli in a Nutrient Broth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relative growth rate of the bacterium Escherichia coli in a nutrient-broth medium. It is determined that the relative growth rate, k, is equal to 2.07 cells per hour, which is found by using the equation y(t) = y_0e^{kt} and solving for k. The conversation also mentions the equation y(t) = y_0e^{kt} and how it can be used to determine the population after a certain amount of time.
hover

Homework Statement

-
A common inhabitant of human intestines is the bacterium Escherichia coli. A cell of this bacterium in a nutrient-broth medium divides into two cells every 20 minutes. The initial population of a culture is 63 cells.
-
(a) Find the relative growth rate.

Homework Equations

Well this has to do with exponential growth and decay. So equations that could apply are

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=ky [/tex]
where y is some function, k is a constant and dy/dt is a change in that function

[tex] y(t)=y_0e^k^t[/tex]

where y of t is a function, y of 0 is an initial value, k is a constant and t is time

[tex] y^-^1* \frac{dy}{dt}=k[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Find the relative growth rate in cells per hour.

well I thought since I know the change in the change of the number of bacteria per minute and the starting number of bacteria, I thought i could do this-

[tex] \frac{1}{63}*\frac{2}{20}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{63}*\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{630} [/tex] cells per minute

[tex] \frac{60}{630} [/tex]cells per hour

[tex] .095 [/tex]cells per hour

that answer is wrong. I don't know how to go about this as you can clearly tell. can someone give me a kick start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plug in the values to:

[tex]y(t) = y_0e^{kt}[/tex]

After 20 min you have twice as many...

[tex]126 = 63 e^{k(20)}[/tex]

Now solve for k. Then you will have the equation for how many there are after t min.

Start with:
[tex]y(t)=y_{0}e^{kt}[/tex]
Since we have:
[tex]63=y(0)=y_{0}[/tex], we ave determined ONE of the two constants, y_0.

The relative growt rate is, indeed, k.
We know that after t=20 minutes, the population has doubled.
Thus, we have:
[tex]2y_{0}=y(20)=y_{0}e^{20k}[/tex],
which means:
[tex]e^{20k}=2\to{k}=\frac{\ln(2)}{20}[/tex]
Thus, we get:
[tex]y(t)=63e^{\frac{t\ln(2)}{20}}=63*2^{\frac{t}{20}}[/tex]
if you want to make the doubling time explicit, t being understood to be measured in minutes.

Thanks guys :). I knew I kind of overlooked this question. I should have known better. k=2.07 cells per hour. I got part a right and once I got that, all the other parts of the question (a-e) fell right out. I thank all of you.

-Hover

Related to How Do You Calculate the Relative Growth Rate of E. coli in a Nutrient Broth?

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth in which the quantity or size of something increases at an ever-increasing rate. This means that as the quantity increases, the rate of increase also increases.

2. What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is the opposite of exponential growth. It is a type of decrease in which the quantity or size of something decreases at an ever-decreasing rate. This means that as the quantity decreases, the rate of decrease also decreases.

3. How is exponential growth and decay different from linear growth and decay?

Exponential growth and decay differ from linear growth and decay in terms of the rate of change. In exponential growth and decay, the rate of change is constantly increasing or decreasing, while in linear growth and decay, the rate of change remains constant.

4. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth and decay?

Exponential growth can be observed in population growth, compound interest, and the spread of diseases. Exponential decay can be seen in radioactive decay, the decay of a substance over time, and the decrease in the effectiveness of a medication.

5. How is the concept of exponential growth and decay important in science?

The concept of exponential growth and decay is important in science as it helps us understand and predict natural phenomena. It is used in various fields such as biology, economics, and physics to model and analyze growth and decay processes. It also helps us make informed decisions in areas such as population control and financial planning.