How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Rolling Ball?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ljhao1992
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 1K views
ljhao1992
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ball is rolling on a rough horizontal surface with a deceleration of 2m/s(square). Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the surface?


Homework Equations



f(k) = u(k)N

The Attempt at a Solution


u(k) = fk/N
i use 2/10
my answer is 0.2

i think my answer is wrong. help me!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please supply all known data, i.e. Mass of the ball?
 
There are no mass. I am stuck with this qn. I have no idea how to start
 
You cannot calculate kinetic friction without mass.
 
it dun have mass for this qn. How? Can i able to use w = mg
 
Does it tell you the normal force? From where are you getting the 10?
 
No. It didn't tell me the normal force. I use g = 10ms(-2 square) g is the gravitational acceleration
 
I am at a loss, it seems you need more data, because without the mass of the ball you don't know the force of friction or the normal force, which are both required to find the coefficient of friction, as far as I know