How Do You Calculate the Specific Heat Capacity of a Cupronickel Alloy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eleeist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Alloy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Eleeist
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have done an experiment in which I measured the specific heat capacity of a coin. I would like to compare the results to the actual value. I have found out that the coin is made of Cupronickel alloy (for simplicity let's assume it's just 75% copper and 25% nickel).

SHC of copper: 0.39 kJ/kg K
SHC of nickel: 0.54 kJ/kg K

Knowing the SHC values of the two elements (copper and nickel) how would I go about calculating the theoretical value of the SHC of the Cupronickel alloy, so that I can compare it to my experiment's results?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Eleeist said:

Homework Statement



I have done an experiment in which I measured the specific heat capacity of a coin. I would like to compare the results to the actual value. I have found out that the coin is made of Cupronickel alloy (for simplicity let's assume it's just 75% copper and 25% nickel).

SHC of copper: 0.39 kJ/kg K
SHC of nickel: 0.54 kJ/kg K

Knowing the SHC values of the two elements (copper and nickel) how would I go about calculating the theoretical value of the SHC of the Cupronickel alloy, so that I can compare it to my experiment's results?

To do this, you need to know the Heat of Mixing, and how it varies with temperature.