How Do You Calculate the Third Force in a System of Connected Masses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter eddiepi2012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
eddiepi2012
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1.I am stuck on this problem can anyone help me?

A 20-kg object is subjected to three forces which produce an acceleration a = -8 m.s-2 i + 6.0 m.s-2 j on the object. Two of the forces are:
F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i+ 8.0 N j
Find the third force.

2. Homework Equations

F = F1 + F2 + F3

a = Fnet / m

3. The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i + 8.0 N j
Fnet = -9 N i + 24 N j

a = Fnet / m = -9 N / 20 kg i + 24 / 20 kg j = -0.5 i + 1.2 j
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi eddiepi2012! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
eddiepi2012 said:
a = Fnet / m

3. The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i + 8.0 N j
Fnet = -9 N i + 24 N j

but that's not Fnet

Fnet is the total force :wink:
 
Ok so how do I find the total force I understand that I am searching for F3 but how do I find it based on the information given?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks tiny-tim.
 
Last edited:
Thank you tiny-tim for welcoming me to PF. :)
 
Last edited:


tiny-tim said:
hi eddiepi2012! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)but that's not Fnet

Fnet is the total force :wink:

I believe this (-9 N i + 24 N j) is the Resultant of F1 + F2. Having this information how do I find F3?
 
hi eddiepi2012! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
eddiepi2012 said:
I believe this (-9 N i + 24 N j) is the Resultant of F1 + F2. Having this information how do I find F3?

first, use Fnet = ma to find Fnet

then subtract F1 and F2