Grade 11 Question: Newton's Third Law -- Calculating acceleration of an airboat

In summary, the conversation discusses using a fan on an airboat to change the boat's direction and speed. The equations for net force and acceleration are shown, with the final answer being an acceleration of 0.5 m/s [forward]. A helpful resource for understanding airboat steering is also provided.
Ibo7526
Homework Statement
c) How can the fan on the airboat be used to change the direction the boat is travelling in?
How can it be used to increase or decrease the speed of the boat?
d) If the boat is going upstream against a current that has a force of 250 N against the
motion of the boat, find the acceleration of the boat if there is a forward force of 360 N from
the fan. (Remember that the mass of the boat is 220 kg.)
Relevant Equations
Fnet=F1+ F2
Fnet=ma
a=Fnet/m
for c) i need help
d)
Given: Let [forward] be positive.
F 1 = — 250 N
F 2 = 360 N
Unknown: a = ?
Equation: F net= F1+ F2
F net= m a
Solve: F net= (— 250 N) + 360 N = 110 N
F net= m a
a = F net/ m
= 110 N / 220 kg= 0.5 m/s [forward]
Statement: The acceleration of the boat is 0.5 m/s [forward].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Ibo7526 said:
Homework Statement:: c) How can the fan on the airboat be used to change the direction the boat is traveling in?
How can it be used to increase or decrease the speed of the boat?

for c) i need help

Google Images is often a good resource for questions like this. I did a Google Images search on airboat steerting, and quickly got to this helpful website:

https://www.flatbottomboatworld.com/how-do-airboats-work/

1612796698406.png

Likes PeroK
Your answer to d) looks fine.

See above for c).

thx guys i appreciate it

Likes berkeman

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to an airboat?

An airboat is propelled by a fan or propeller that pushes air backwards, which creates a forward force on the boat. According to Newton's Third Law, the boat will also experience an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction, propelling it forward.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of an airboat?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = F/m, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is the net force applied, and "m" is the mass of the object. In the case of an airboat, the net force is the force generated by the fan or propeller, and the mass is the mass of the boat and its contents.

4. How can I measure the net force and mass of an airboat?

The net force can be measured by using a force meter or by calculating the thrust of the fan or propeller. The mass of the airboat can be measured by using a scale or by adding the masses of all the components of the boat together.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the acceleration of an airboat?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the acceleration of an airboat, such as air resistance, friction, and the weight distribution of the boat. These factors can affect the net force and mass, and therefore, the acceleration of the airboat.