How Do You Calculate the Third Force in a Three-Force System?

In summary: Then do the same for the y-components. You should end up with two equations.In summary, the problem involves a 20-kg object experiencing three forces, with two of them given as F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j and F2 = -12.0 N i + 8.0 N j. Using F=ma, two equations can be set up for the x and y components of the net force, and solving for the third force will give the answer.
Callen9

Homework Statement

A 20-kg object is subjected to three forces which produce an acceleration a = -8 m.s-2 i + 6.0 m.s-2 j on the object. Two of the forces are:
F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i+ 8.0 N j
Find the third force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I've been doing physics for the past 8 hours so I'm brain dead right now. This is my last problem on my homework. I know that F=ma, so I'm thinking maybe I have to set up an equation like (F1+F2+F3)=20a. But something about that doesn't seem right. Any help and I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You're exactly right. Use F=ma and set up two equations for the two components. Set up one equation for the i direction and one equation for the j direction. F1+F2+F3=ma, then you just need to solve for F3

Write separate equations for the vector components of the equation F = m*A. Here F is the net force acting on mass m, so F = F1 + F2 + F3. each of these F's have two vector components (x,y directions).

So suppose you start by looking at just the x-components. Can you write the F = m*A equation for that?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Third Force in a Three-Force System?

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude. Vectors are commonly used to describe motion and forces in physics.

2. How do you add two vectors together?

To add two vectors, you must first break them down into their x and y components. Then, add the x components together and the y components together to get the resulting vector. The magnitude and direction of the resulting vector can be found using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, time, and distance, while examples of vectors include velocity, displacement, and acceleration.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components of the vector. It is represented by ||v|| or |v|.

5. What are some real-life examples of vectors?

Vectors are commonly used in everyday life, such as when giving directions or using a GPS to navigate. They are also used in sports to describe the trajectory of a ball or the force of a kick. In engineering, vectors are used to describe the forces acting on a structure. Additionally, vectors are used in transportation to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a vehicle.