How do you calculate the velocity of a pendulum at its lowest point?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 23K views
goomer
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
If you are given the tension of the pendulum at its lowest point and the length of the pendulum, how can you solve for the velocity of the pendulum?

I've looked in my book and found the equation

v= √ (2gL (1-cosΘ))

But this equation doesn't help me unless I have the maximum angle the pendulum can swing. Is there another formula I should be aware of?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oh that's easy! I see youre dilehma! i spelled it wrong haha. ok here we go. SO, this will have everything to do with centripetal force. What do you know about that?
 
basically, centripetal force is the force that allows circular motion which always points towards the center.