How Do You Calculate the Velocity Components of a Sailboat Affected by Wind?

• Thread starter iSimply
  • Start date
In summary, at time t=t(gust), the boat experiences an additional acceleration due to wind at an angle of 60 degrees north of east.
iSimply

Homework Statement

A sailboat is traveling due east, with a speed V=Vinit at time t = 0 and a constant eastward acceleration A(motor). From a time t = t(gust) to a time t=t(calm), a gust of wind gives the boat an additional acceleration A(wind) at an angle 60o North of East. Find an expression in terms of the quantities given for the North and East components of the boat's velocity at the time t(calm).

Homework Equations

Just basic 2 dimensional kinematic like
Vfs= Vis + Ast
Sf= Si+ Vis(t) + 1/2 As(t)^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I thought about this and think East components = Vinit + ( A motor + A wind (1/2)) (tcalm-t0)
and North components = A wind (√3/2) (tcalm-t0)

I mostly added the vectors of A wind and A motor, I am not sure if that is right. Please clarify or correct me if I am wrong, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
iSimply said:
North components = A wind (√3/2) (tcalm-t0)
Why from t0 to t(calm)? Is that the correct time period in which the wind is blowing?

iSimply said:
East components = Vinit + ( A motor + A wind (1/2)) (tcalm-t0)
Again, is that the time that the wind acts?

I wasn't sure if from t0 to Tgust there was a time difference.
If the point where Tgust happens then it would only be from Tcalm-Tgust.
Is the rest of it correct?

If they say it starts at tgust then you shouldn't assume tgust=t0

The rest is correct, but write out the equation for the East component so I can see that you do it correctly.

Well for the East component we have a Vinit and 2 acceleration component acting on it. Which are Amotor and Awind.
And we know that Awind is 60 degree north east so the Awind in the east direction would be equal to Awindcos60degree

So Velocity for the East component is equal to Vinit+ (Amotor + Awind cos 60) (tgust-tcalm).
Does it look correct?

iSimply said:
So Velocity for the East component is equal to Vinit+ (Amotor + Awind cos 60) (tgust-tcalm).
Does it look correct?
Did we only turn on the motor on once the wind starting blowing?

No... :(
That was the part where I was confused and wasn't sure how to approach it.
I know that from t0 to tgust the motor was running, but I wasn't sure how to incorporate it.

V east= Vinit + (motor (t0-tgust))+ (motor + wind)(tcalm-tgust)...

Write it in pieces. What is the velocity once the wind starts blowing? Then what is the velocity after the wind stops blowing?

Also I just noticed one more small error. You wrote (tgust - tcalm), does anything seem wrong with that?

Yeah it should be (tcalm - tgust) good catch.
Well it goes from Vinit+ (motor(tgust-t0)) when the wind start.
Then once it stop then wouldn't it be that plus ( motor + windcos 60)(tcalm-tgust).

so it would be Vinit + (motor (tgust-t0))+ (motor +windcos 60)(t calm-tgust).
Is that right?

iSimply said:
Is that right?
Yep :) (You can simplify it slightly because t0=0)

Oh and an edit my to North Component it should be = A wind (√3/2) (tcalm-tgust)
since no north component was acting it on from t0 until tgust.

You are awesome, thank you for the help!

iSimply said:
Oh and an edit my to North Component it should be = A wind (√3/2) (tcalm-tgust)
since no north component was acting it on from t0 until tgust.
Indeed

iSimply said:
You are awesome, thank you for the help!
You're welcome

Related to How Do You Calculate the Velocity Components of a Sailboat Affected by Wind?

What is the physics behind a sailboat traveling east?

A sailboat traveling east utilizes the force of the wind on its sails to generate forward motion. The shape and angle of the sails allows for the boat to harness the wind's kinetic energy and convert it into mechanical energy to propel the boat forward.

What factors affect the speed of a sailboat traveling east?

The speed of a sailboat traveling east is affected by the strength and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the sails, the weight and design of the boat, and the skill of the sailor in navigating and adjusting the sails.

How does a sailboat change direction while traveling east?

A sailboat can change direction while traveling east by adjusting the angle and position of its sails. By turning the boat into the wind, the sails will catch the wind from a different direction, allowing the boat to change its course.

What is the difference between a sailboat traveling east and a motorboat?

A sailboat traveling east relies on the wind to propel it forward, while a motorboat uses an engine to generate propulsion. This means that a sailboat can travel at varying speeds depending on the strength of the wind, while a motorboat can maintain a consistent speed regardless of external factors.

Are there any safety concerns for a sailboat traveling east?

As with any watercraft, there are safety concerns for a sailboat traveling east. These may include strong winds or currents, rough weather conditions, and potential collisions with other boats or objects. It is important for sailors to be knowledgeable and cautious in order to ensure the safety of themselves and others on the water.