1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a pendulum at lowest point

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am told to find the speed of a pendulum bob at the lowest point of the swing where the initial angle of displacement is θ=5.7° and the period of the pendulum is 2.5 seconds.

2. Relevant equations

K.E.=.5mv2, T=2∏√(L/g), P.E.=mgh, h=L-Lcosθ=L(1-cosθ)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I found the length of the pendulum first by plugging in 9.81 m/s2 for g and 2.5 s for T into the equation T=2∏√(L/g) to get 1.552 m.

Next, we know that the height displacement in a pendulum bob is equal to L-Lcosθ, so I plug this into P.E.=mgh, and also from conservation of energy we know P.E. can be set as .5mv2, so the final equation I used is:
    v=√(2gL(1-cosθ))=√(2(9.81)(1.553(1-cos(5.7)))) which got me the answer v=2.244 m/s.

However the answer is apparently v=0.388 m/s. My teacher is kind of notorious for being wrong a lot of the time, so if somebody could let me know which answer is right and why that would be awesome, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you set your calculator to degrees (DEG) to calculate sin(5.7°)?

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    Wow I feel stupid. Got the answer now, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted