How Do You Calculate the Work Done by Friction on a Skier?

  • Thread starter Thread starter neoncrazy101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
neoncrazy101
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 71.2-kg skier coasts up a snow-covered hill that makes an angle of 31.4 ° with the horizontal. The initial speed of the skier is 9.96 m/s. After coasting a distance of 2.04 m up the slope, the speed of the skier is 4.41 m/s. (a) Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis. (b) What is the magnitude of the kinetic frictional force?


Homework Equations


Ef= Eo (aka 1/2mvf^2 + mghf = 1/2mvo^2 + mgho


The Attempt at a Solution


Final: 1/2(71.2)(4.41)2+71.2(-9.8)(1.74) = -521 (H=2.04cos(31.4), right?)
Initial: 1/2(71.2)(9.96)2+71(-9.8)(0) = 3531

The answer our phyrics program gives for this problem is A: -2100J and for B: 1030N. But I cannot figure this problem out. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle is with the horizontal, so the height should be 2.04sin(31.4)
 
Ok, that was one mistake but I must of done something else, I still get the wrong answer.

Final: 1/2(71.2)(4.41)2+(71.2)(-9.8)(1.06) = -47.27324
Initial: 1/2(71.2)(9.96)2+(71.2)(-9.8)(0) = 3531.57696

Ef - Eo = -3578.85284

The answer is supposed to be -2100J. Must be something else that I am doing wrong.
 
Your sign on g is wrong. The way you have it, the potential energy is lower when you are higher up.
 
Oh. that's works. I totally thought that it was supposed to be -9.8. thanks. Now I'm getting -2100.
 
For energy, g is almost always positive. In fact, it's best to leave g positive and determine the sign based on the coordinate system in use.