How Do You Calculate the X Component of Force in Coulomb's Law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nateastle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nateastle
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I believe this is the right place for this question. I am strugling with getting this homework problem setup. The question is:

A charge q1 = -3 nc is placed at the origin of an xy-cordinate system, and a charge q2=2.00nC is placed on the positive y Axis at y=4cm. If a third charge q3 =4nC is now placed at point x=3 cm, y=4cm, find the x and y componets of the total force exerted on this charge by the other two.

I have setup my grid and figured out the force on the y Axis is -3.45 X 10^-5 (or at least I hope that is correct) but I am having problems figuring out how to setup the problem to get the force on the x axis. If I didn't calculate the force right for the y-axis please let me know. I have been using coulombs law of f=k(q1q2/r^2)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nateastle said:
I believe this is the right place for this question. I am strugling with getting this homework problem setup. The question is:

A charge q1 = -3 nc is placed at the origin of an xy-cordinate system, and a charge q2=2.00nC is placed on the positive y Axis at y=4cm. If a third charge q3 =4nC is now placed at point x=3 cm, y=4cm, find the x and y componets of the total force exerted on this charge by the other two.

I have setup my grid and figured out the force on the y Axis is -3.45 X 10^-5 (or at least I hope that is correct) but I am having problems figuring out how to setup the problem to get the force on the x axis. If I didn't calculate the force right for the y-axis please let me know. I have been using coulombs law of f=k(q1q2/r^2)
Your answer for the force on the y-axis is correct, in Newtons. The force in the +x direction is the force between charge 2 and 3 less the x component of the force between 1 and 3 (which is in the - x direction). I get about 5.4 x 10-5 N. in the + x direction.

AM