How Do You Calculate Uncertainties in Velocity Measurements?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrDanger
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Uncertainties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DrDanger
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A glider moves on a level (horizontal) air track. The motion detector records five velocities of the glider: 0.48 m/s, 0.48 m/s, 0.53 m/s, 0.48 m/s, 0.47 m/s. The average velocity, uncertainty in the velocity, and relative uncertainty are


Homework Equations


Avg velocity= V1+V2+V3+V4+V5/2


The Attempt at a Solution


For the average velocity I used the above equation and got 0.488. For the uncertainty in the velocity I did 0.53-0.47/2 to get plus or minus 3, but I'm not sure if that is right. I have no idea on how find the relative uncertainty
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so I just read that relative uncertainty is found by percent uncertainty in velocity/ avg value. Correct? but when I use that my answer is'nt one of my choices. So is there something wrong I did when finding the percent uncertainty in the velocity?