Need help on how to find the uncertainty in this question

In summary, the acceleration of a glider moving down a sloping air track is 0.08 m/s2 with a ± 1s uncertainty.
CKaiL

Homework Statement

To find the acceleration of a glider moving down a sloping air track, you measure its
velocities (v1 and v2) at two points and the time t it takes between them, as follows:
v1 = 0.210 +/- 0.05m/s
v2 = 0.850 +/- 0.05m/s
t = 8 +/- 1 second
What should you report for the acceleration, a = (v2 - v1)/ t and its uncertainty

Homework Equations

a = (v2 * v1)/ t

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration, a = (V2 – V1) / t = ((0.85 – 0.21) / 8.0) m/s = 0.08 m/s2

I need some clue on how to find the uncertainty in this question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CKaiL said:
t = 8 +/- 1 second

? Is that a clue?

"The uncertainty in the time measurement is ± 1s."

You need some more Relevant equations, namely the error (uncertainty) propagation formulas for combining the uncertainties when you add, multiply, and divide values with uncertainties.

Take a look http://www.rit.edu/cos/uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
But how do I calculate the uncertainty using t = +/- 1 or is it the answer to the uncertainty?

It is something you will need to calculate the uncertainty.

You can start with a part that might be easier: what is the uncertainty on the velocity difference v2-v1?

CKaiL said:
But how do I calculate the uncertainty using t = +/- 1 or is it the answer to the uncertainty?
All the measured values (velocities, times) have uncertainties associated with them. +/- 1s is the uncertainty in the time measurement of 8 seconds. So the "actual value" could be as low as 7 seconds or as high as 9 seconds. You need to combine the uncertainties through your calculations following the established rules for doing so. So, do the subtraction v2 - v1 first and establish the uncertainty in that intermediate value. Then move on to the division operation.

Example: x = (2.0 ± 0.2) cm, y = (3.0 ± 0.6) cm. Find z = x - 2y and its uncertainty.

z = x - 2y = 2.0 - 2(3.0) = -4.0 cm
Dz = Dx + 2 Dy = 0.2 + 1.2 = 1.4 cm

So z = (-4.0 ± 1.4) cm.
Using Eq 1b, z = (-4.0 ± 0.9) cm.

The 0 after the decimal point in 4.0 is significant and must be written in the answer. The uncertainty in this case starts with a 1 and is kept to two significant figures. (More on rounding in Section 7.)

I tried to relate my problem to the given example but in my case ,
v1 = 0.210 +/- 0.05m/s
v2 = 0.850 +/- 0.05m/s

delta A = (0.05 - 0.05 )/ 0.1 = 0 ?

I am lost here. Please help

CKaiL said:
z = x - 2y = 2.0 - 2(3.0) = -4.0 cm
Dz = Dx + 2 Dy = 0.2 + 1.2 = 1.4 cm
Note that although the expression for z is x - 2y, Dz is given as Dx+2Dy. This is because it is calculating the extreme possible values of z. The lowest possible value is when x takes its lowest value but y is at its highest value.
You can extend this method for all of your uncertainties. For each variable, which extreme value produces the lowest possible acceleration and which the highest possible?

That said, there is another way such questions can be interpreted: statistically. This takes into account that not all variables are likely to be at the extremities of their error ranges at the same time. But based on your prior example, that's not what you are expected to do here.

May I know how do I go about to find the uncertainty for my question since I was told to find the v2 -v1 first then move on to division operation

CKaiL said:
May I know how do I go about to find the uncertainty for my question since I was told to find the v2 -v1 first then move on to division operation
As I said, investigate this:
For each variable (v1, v2, t), which extreme value produces the lowest possible acceleration and which the highest possible?
(Technically, we should not assume that the lowest possible acceleration as v1 varies will correspond to an extreme value of v1, etc. But it will be the case here.)

Hi
I have calculate the uncertainty but I am not really sure whether it is correct.
Uncertainty = 0.007(1 Sig fig)
Hence, A= 0.08 +/- 0.007 m/s^2

Could anyone helps me check if my answer is correct?

how did you get that .007 m/s2 ?
how to get a small acceleration:
what's the smallest change the velocity might have made? (0.54 m/s) divide it by the longest time possible
Largest a is just the opposite.

Using the uncertainty formula I got 0.007 but I am not really if I apply it correctly
The book answer is 0.08 +/- 0.01

I have made a error in my question . The time t should be 8 +/- 0.1 second

CKaiL said:
Using the uncertainty formula
What uncertainty formula? Are you referring to something you already posted in this thread? If so, I don't seem to be able to identify it.
CKaiL said:
The book answer is 0.08 +/- 0.01
That's not the answer I get.

Given that v1 is in the range 0.210- 0.05m/s to 0.210+ 0.05m/s, and v2 is in the range 0.850 - 0.05m/s to 0.850 + 0.05m/s, what is the maximum possible value of v2-v1?

CKaiL said:
I have made a error in my question . The time t should be 8 +/- 0.1 second
Ah, that makes a difference... but I still don't get the book answer. Well, to two significant figures I do, so guess that's ok.

Last edited:
Hi

I have solved this question with the advise given by all of you :)

1. What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty is the measure of how much a value or measurement deviates from its true or accepted value. It is often expressed as a range or margin of error.

2. Why is it important to find the uncertainty in a question?

Finding the uncertainty in a question allows for a better understanding of the accuracy and reliability of the data being analyzed. It also helps in making informed decisions based on the data.

3. How do you calculate uncertainty?

Uncertainty is calculated by taking the difference between the highest and lowest possible values of a measurement or data, divided by 2. It is often expressed as a percentage or in absolute terms.

4. Are there different types of uncertainty?

Yes, there are various types of uncertainty such as random uncertainty, systematic uncertainty, and model uncertainty. Random uncertainty is due to natural variations and can be reduced by repeating measurements. Systematic uncertainty is caused by limitations of the measurement equipment or techniques. Model uncertainty is related to the accuracy of the model used to analyze the data.

5. How can one reduce uncertainty in a question?

Uncertainty can be reduced by increasing the precision and accuracy of the measurements or data. This can be done by using more precise equipment, taking multiple measurements, and reducing sources of error. Additionally, using appropriate statistical analysis can help in reducing uncertainty.