What is the uncertainty in y for given angular velocity and position values?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of uncertainty (δy) in y using given values for the angular velocity and x. The problem is approached using different methods, including calculating the difference between two values and using error propagation formulas. The final solution involves using a formula not initially provided.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

Given that the uncertainty in the angular velocity is δω = 0.48 rad/s and the uncertainty in x is δx = 0.37 cm, calculate the uncertainty in y (δy) for the following points. The angular velocity of the bowl is 16.3 rad/s and you may ignore the uncertainty in H.

I have no idea how to start this problem, because in the lab lecture, uncertainty was never mentioned. Please help.

Homework Equations

I have attached what we were given below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing yet since I don't know how uncertainty factors into the given formulas.

Attachments

• Formula.jpg
    Formula.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a little difficult to answer your question without knowing the level of your course. And not much info on the problem is given. But the formula for y is the main thing.

Beginners do error calcs by calculating the y with the "best" values (not counting the error) and then again with the best values plus their errors (or minus the errors if that gives a higher answer). Take the difference between the two answers to get the error in y.

The next level is to use formulas for the error when multiplying, dividing, etc. There are some formulas here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_of_uncertainty

Most advanced - use partial derivatives to figure out a formula for the error. That is explained at the same link.

In all cases, you will need values for ω and x. You don't seem to have a value for x, so I don't see how you can do the problem.

Sorry. I attached a value for x, later. It's x=5.72 cm. And the class is an intro course where calculus isn't used. I tried plugging in values, but immediately became confused.

What do you get when you work out y = H + ω²x²/(2g) using the
x = 5.72 cm, ω = 16.3/s ? Of course you will have an H in the answer but it will cancel out when you take the difference between this y value and the second one you calculate using the values of ω and x increased by their error estimates.

I got:
y=H+0.04435 for the first one without error estimates and
y=H+0.05328 for the equation with error estimates.

Just subtract the two values to get the delta y you are looking for!

I subtracted them and got .893 cm but that answer is incorrect. Any ideas?

The trouble with error calcs is that they are not exact.
If you do the high - best you get a slightly different answer than if you do the best - low value. Or if you use the formula method you get yet another slightly different answer. By the formula, you get
δy = 2ωx²/(2g)*δω + 2ω²x/(2g)*δx = .00835 meters
Of course it is silly to include 3 digits in an error estimate; .01 would be more sensible. To get your course's answer, you really need to know the expected method and rounding practise.

Thanks for all the responses. I went to my TA today and he helped me out. We had to use a formula that wasn't given. Thanks again!

Related to What is the uncertainty in y for given angular velocity and position values?

What is an introductory lab problem?

An introductory lab problem is a scientific question or challenge that serves as the basis for a laboratory experiment. It is typically given to students in introductory science courses to help them develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Why are introductory lab problems important?

Introductory lab problems are important because they provide hands-on experience for students to apply the concepts they have learned in class. They also allow students to develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the scientific field.

How do you choose an introductory lab problem?

When choosing an introductory lab problem, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, relevance to the course material, and the availability of resources. It should also be a problem that is feasible to solve within the time and resources provided.

What are some tips for solving an introductory lab problem?

Some tips for solving an introductory lab problem include carefully reading and understanding the problem statement, breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable steps, and seeking guidance from instructors or peers if needed. It is also important to record data accurately and analyze it critically to draw meaningful conclusions.

How can you apply the skills learned from solving an introductory lab problem in real-world situations?

The skills learned from solving an introductory lab problem, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, can be applied to real-world situations in various fields, including scientific research, engineering, and healthcare. These skills are essential for solving complex problems and making informed decisions based on data and evidence.