How Do You Convert Proton Flux from 1/(cm^2 s sr) to 1/(cm^2 s)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
nykon
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Dear forum users,

I have a quite simple question. I have got a flux of protons measured in 1/(cm^2 s sr), I would like to have it in 1/(cm^2 s).


nykon
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
zhermes said:
Then you should multiple by the number of sr

Yes, I have got problem with sr concept:p Let's say that the distance between source and the detector is 1m. My detector has effective area of 1 cm^2. So by how many sr I should multiply my flux?

My answer would be:

The area of the sphere with radius of 1m^2 is:

[itex]S = 40000 \pi [cm^2][/itex]

the effectiv area of the detector is D = 1cm^2, so:

[itex]\frac{D}{S} = \frac{1}{40 000 \pi} = \frac{1}{125600} = 7.9 \times 10^{-6}[/itex]

So the soild angle of my detector should be:

[itex]θ_{D} = 4\pi \times 7.9 \times 10^{-6}[sr][/itex]

So finally:

[itex]θ_{D} = 9.92 \times 10^{-5} [sr][/itex]

Am I right?


nykon
 
Last edited: