How Do You Derive Forces and Couple on an Electric Dipole in an External Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
Cheetox
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electric dipole of moment p is placed at a distance r from a point charge +q. The angle between p and r is phi. Show that the energy of interaction between the dipole and the charge is -pqcos(phi)/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]0r^2

Derive equations for

a)a radial force on the dipole
b)a force on the dipole normal to r
c)a couple on the dipole

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I have proved the first part of the question using the integral of the torque between [tex]\phi[/tex]0 and [tex]\varphi[/tex] and setting [tex]\varphi[/tex]0 to 90degrees and I believe that questions a, b and c are simple manipulations of the proved equation, but no book I read will give me a proof or an explanation of the 'radial force' and how to prove questions a, b and c could anyone help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have found the work, or I guess energy of interaction, done to bring the charge to where it is.

a) How would you find the radial force on a monopole? (Hint: potential)
b) Similar idea to a), but different dot product
c) No idea what this means, sorry.