Calculating Torque and Work of an Electric Dipole in a Uniform External Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
ooohffff
Messages
74
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


An electric dipole consists of +/- Q = 330nC separated by a distance of 1200nm. The dipole is initially oriented in the -i direction (along the negative x axis). The dipole is in a uniform external electric field of E=2500j N/C Determine the following:

a) The magnitude of the torque on the dipole when it is at +165° to the +x axis
b) The work done by the electric field to rotate the dipole to an angle of +110° to the +x-axis from its initial position

Homework Equations


|T| = |P| |E| sin θ
W = Uf-Ui

The Attempt at a Solution


I get what to plug into solve the problems, but the only issue I have is that I'm not sure what θ should be in these equations because I can't really visualize between what two vectors the angle is supposed to be between? When it says it's initially oriented in the -i direction, does that mean it has already rotated 180°? I'm confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ooohffff said:
I'm confused.

draw a diagram and then it will be/can be seen how your confusion stands..
 
So for a) would theta be 165°-90°=75°?

And for b) would final theta be 110°-90°=20° and initial theta be 180°-90°=90°
 
ooohffff said:
So for a) would theta be 165°-90°=75°?

And for b) would final theta be 110°-90°=20° and initial theta be 180°-90°=90°

what is your theta angle ?
As you write the equation for Torque the angle theta seems to be angle between the dipole moment and electric field...
Initially your dipole moment is along -i direction and E is in j direction so are you turning the dipole through 75 degree...check from diagram.
post the diagram for us to see.
 
drvrm said:
are you turning the dipole through 75 degree...
No. Oriented at -i must mean at 180 degrees to the +x axis. It is then rotated to be at 110 degrees to the +x axis.
In part a) there is no actual rotation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: drvrm
haruspex said:
Yes.
Okay, I did that and I got the right answer for a).

For b), plugging 20 degrees and 90 degrees didn't seem to work. Any ideas?
 
ooohffff said:
For b), plugging 20 degrees and 90 degrees didn't seem to work.
What are the starting and finishing angles in b)?
 
haruspex said:
What are the starting and finishing angles in b)?
Initial is 180, final is 110.
 
ooohffff said:
Initial is 180, final is 110.
That's not the answer though...
 
ooohffff said:
Initial is 180, final is 110.
the angle is between dipole moment and E and the work done in rotating a dipole through an elementary angular displacement should be torque times the angle say differential element of theta.
 
drvrm said:
the angle is between dipole moment and E and the work done in rotating a dipole through an elementary angular displacement should be torque times the angle say differential element of theta.
Oh wait, the final angle is actually 20° (165°-90°) and the initial is 90°(180°-90°), like I said previously. I found something else in my problem that was wrong, and I got the right number. My work is negative, which makes sense because it is rotating clockwise to align with the electric field, right?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: drvrm