Calculating Torque and Work of an Electric Dipole in a Uniform External Field

In summary: Oh wait, the final angle is actually 20° (165°-90°) and the initial is 90°(180°-90°), like I said previously.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

An electric dipole consists of +/- Q = 330nC separated by a distance of 1200nm. The dipole is initially oriented in the -i direction (along the negative x axis). The dipole is in a uniform external electric field of E=2500j N/C Determine the following:

a) The magnitude of the torque on the dipole when it is at +165° to the +x axis
b) The work done by the electric field to rotate the dipole to an angle of +110° to the +x-axis from its initial position

Homework Equations

|T| = |P| |E| sin θ
W = Uf-Ui

The Attempt at a Solution

I get what to plug into solve the problems, but the only issue I have is that I'm not sure what θ should be in these equations because I can't really visualize between what two vectors the angle is supposed to be between? When it says it's initially oriented in the -i direction, does that mean it has already rotated 180°? I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
ooohffff said:
I'm confused.

draw a diagram and then it will be/can be seen how your confusion stands..

So for a) would theta be 165°-90°=75°?

And for b) would final theta be 110°-90°=20° and initial theta be 180°-90°=90°

ooohffff said:

And for b) would final theta be 110°-90°=20° and initial theta be 180°-90°=90°

what is your theta angle ?
As you write the equation for Torque the angle theta seems to be angle between the dipole moment and electric field...
Initially your dipole moment is along -i direction and E is in j direction so are you turning the dipole through 75 degree...check from diagram.
post the diagram for us to see.

drvrm said:
are you turning the dipole through 75 degree...
No. Oriented at -i must mean at 180 degrees to the +x axis. It is then rotated to be at 110 degrees to the +x axis.
In part a) there is no actual rotation.

Likes drvrm
ooohffff said:
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Okay, I did that and I got the right answer for a).

For b), plugging 20 degrees and 90 degrees didn't seem to work. Any ideas?

ooohffff said:
For b), plugging 20 degrees and 90 degrees didn't seem to work.
What are the starting and finishing angles in b)?

haruspex said:
What are the starting and finishing angles in b)?
Initial is 180, final is 110.

ooohffff said:
That's not the answer though...

ooohffff said:
the angle is between dipole moment and E and the work done in rotating a dipole through an elementary angular displacement should be torque times the angle say differential element of theta.

drvrm said:
the angle is between dipole moment and E and the work done in rotating a dipole through an elementary angular displacement should be torque times the angle say differential element of theta.
Oh wait, the final angle is actually 20° (165°-90°) and the initial is 90°(180°-90°), like I said previously. I found something else in my problem that was wrong, and I got the right number. My work is negative, which makes sense because it is rotating clockwise to align with the electric field, right?

Likes drvrm

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied. The direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the force vector and the distance vector.

3. What is the work of a dipole?

The work of a dipole is the amount of energy required to rotate a dipole from one position to another. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the torque on the dipole by the angle through which it is rotated.

4. How does the direction of a dipole affect its torque and work?

The direction of a dipole affects its torque and work as it determines the angle through which the dipole is rotated. If the dipole is aligned with the direction of the torque, the work done will be maximum. If the dipole is perpendicular to the direction of the torque, no work is done.

5. Can a dipole have a net torque of zero?

Yes, a dipole can have a net torque of zero. This occurs when the two equal and opposite forces acting on the dipole are aligned along the same line, resulting in a net torque of zero. In this case, the dipole will not rotate and no work will be done on it.