1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you derive the pV Work formula, W= "integral"pdV?

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    This is a Thermodynamics question. I need help in how to derive the Work done in changing from State 1 and State 2.
    ie: How do you derive the pV Work formula, W= "integral"dW= "integral"pdV

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2
    Defining work to be [;W = \int F dx;] and pressure to be [;P = \frac{F}{A};]

We can substitute F in the in the work equation (assuming constant force) and obtain [;W = \int PA dx;] which is effectively [;W = \int PdV;].

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    @calculo2718 , what you've shared made sense at first read but after thinking about it a bit, I think with your "W = \int PA dx", you should get:

W = PA * \int dx , since PA is constant,
    and finally W = PAx , since "\int dx"=x,
    and not W = \int PdV

I thought that maybe Ax could be considered as dV, but I'm not sure.

Please try to explain further as there might be something I'm not considering

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4
    Substitute PA=F into your equation for W and when you integrate A with respect to x, you treat P as a constant. The integral of area gives you volume.

6. Jul 17, 2015 #5
    Work done is defined as ( ∫F.dx ) . Force is not necessarily a constant and may vary at different points .

It would , however , be a constant ( approximately ) over a length dx . So we write F as P.A at and write the work as ( ∫PA.dx ) .

A.dx is the small volume dV that is crossed by an acting force . So we write the work done as ( ∫P.dV ) ,where P is not necessarily a constant .

7. Jul 17, 2015 #6
    @RedDelicious , if I do that, I'll end up with at the same solution of W = pAx = pV I believe

@Qwertywerty , what you've said seems to makes sense and I want to understand it this way but I need to clear a few things first:

If you integrate F with respect to x, you get F*x (which is what we were taught in high school physics, without the integral). So if you integrate, pA with respect to x, shouldn't you get pAx = pV, and not integral of pdV? If F is not constant, don't we just treat it as average of all the F's, and still treat it as a constant?

8. Jul 17, 2015 #7
    Yes, you learned W = Fx in high school but that was assuming F was constant, I shouldn't have said assuming F is constant, but in my defense it was nearly 5 in the morning when I posted.

Think about it like this, force is a function of position(not necessarily constant), area is also a function of position so its more like W = [;\int F(x)dx;] and [;W = \int P(x)A(x)dx;], [;A(x)dx;] is essentially [;dV;].

9. Jul 17, 2015 #8
    Here - ∫dx = x + c
    ∫kx.dx = k(x∧2)/2 + c
    ∫k(x∧2).dx = k(x∧3)/3 + c

and so on , where k and c are some random constants .

Now suppose F = kx , could you remove F from the integral of ∫F.dx ?
    F = P.A will however be true at any instant .

Thus we can write W =∫F.dx or W= ∫PA.dx .

In the second case it is not necessary that P or A is a constant over some large distance . They may simply be functions as P(x) and A(x) . So can you now remove either of them from your integral ?

However we can write A(x).dx as the small volume that that the particle , on which the force acts , moves through at any x .
    Thus work can be written as W = ∫P.dV .

I hope this helps .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted