How do You Design a Circular Saw?

In summary: Most blades are designed for wimpy consumer-saws that can't save their own asses. If you have a nice heavy saw, you need blades that can take care of the extra power. If you have been smart enough to buy a saw that uses a light-weight casing and a worm-drive to do heavy work, you know what that kind of performance that saw will crank out, and you have an idea ifthecheesy hardware-store blades are worth buying.
optics.tech
Hello everyone,

Can anyone please tell me how do you design a circular saw such as below image?

Is there available any good book on it?

Thanks in advance

Huygen

[PLAIN]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9031/59233097.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Design in what way?

Are we talking about the actual design of one (structure etc) or do you mean how to do it on a computer/by hand?

Design in what way?

Are we talking about the actual design of one (structure etc) or do you mean how to do it on a computer/by hand?

Everything. Theory, calculation, simulation on computer, etc.

Umm, well I don't think there's a book out there for specifically designing saw blades.

Simulation is just CAD work in something like Solidworks, it will be a fairly generic set of concepts you'd apply there.

Theory, well that's something you should learn in a class. We can point you in a rough direction but I don't know if we're going to be able to give you everything you need.

What is the purpose of this project?

jarednjames said:

That is the critical question. Is this to be a bone saw for autopsies, or a tungsten blade to carve marble, or a steak-chopper for a butcher, or what? There are very scientific reasons for the designs of each type.

Umm, well I don't think there's a book out there for specifically designing saw blades.

Simulation is just CAD work in something like Solidworks, it will be a fairly generic set of concepts you'd apply there.

Theory, well that's something you should learn in a class. We can point you in a rough direction but I don't know if we're going to be able to give you everything you need.

I even don't got any lecture about designing saw blade in my bachelor of mechanical engineering.

Raw direction is OK for me.

There are types of saw blades for cutting a various size of pipe.

optics.tech said:
There are types of saw blades for cutting a various size of pipe.

That also depends upon what the pipe is made of and how thick the walls are. Really, man... you're not giving us much to go on.

That also depends upon what the pipe is made of and how thick the walls are. Really, man... you're not giving us much to go on.

Sorry, because I don't have much known about it too.

OK, say the pipe is made from PVC, outer diameter of 100 mm and thickness of 3 mm.

optics.tech said:
Sorry, because I don't have much known about it too.

OK, say the pipe is made from PVC, outer diameter of 100 mm and thickness of 3 mm.

Why are you designing your own saw blade instead of buiying one already made for the task?

I have to say, I suspect saw blade design incorporates a lot of looking at previous designs to see what worked, making small tweaks here and there, and putting nice sharp tips on the teeth...

There are too many variables. How many teeth, how aggressive are the teeth (geometry), how much "set" and what angles are the cutting surfaces set at. Then there is the little matter of whether you use monolithic blades or affix cutting surfaces. You can go to a home-improvement big-box-store and see more variations on circular blades than you would ever want to try to figure out.

Want to saw cured or green hardwood, cured or green softwood, plywood, chip-board? There are special blades for all of them, and we haven't even gotten into PVC, metals, and other materials. This isn't a subject that's going to be presented in an all-encompassing book that you can read. In fact, if I was an engineer for any of the companies that manufacture circular-saw blades, I would actively resist dissemination of any of our engineering studies that helped my company make and sell the best blades.

What Turbo said... except that he said it far better than I could have.

Danger said:
What Turbo said... except that he said it far better than I could have.
Thanks for the props, but I couldn't have delved any further into the subject of engineering saw-blades without running into a brick wall.

Most blades are designed for wimpy consumer-saws that can't save their own asses. If you have a nice heavy saw, you need blades that can take care of the extra power. If you have been smart enough to buy a saw that uses a light-weight casing and a worm-drive to do heavy work, you know what that kind of performance that saw will crank out, and you have an idea if
the cheesy hardware-store blades are worth buying.

Hey, I'm a Red Green kind of guy. Give me a 30 hp Evinrude, I'll duct-tape a chain to it, and the neighbours should just go on vacation for a few days.

these things are cheap, go buy one and reverse engineer it.
they dis-assemble quite easy.

If you're looking to cut metal pipe, call a plumber and ask them what they use. I think you're looking to cut metal pipe.

1. How does a circular saw work?

A circular saw is a power tool that is used to make straight and precise cuts in various materials, such as wood, metal, and plastic. It consists of a motor that rotates a circular blade at high speeds, allowing it to cut through the material. The blade is typically made of steel and has sharp teeth along its edge to make the cuts. The saw also has a guard that covers the blade and a handle for the user to hold onto while operating the tool.

2. What are the different types of circular saws?

There are several types of circular saws, including sidewinder saws, worm drive saws, and compact circular saws. Sidewinder saws have the motor mounted on the side of the blade, while worm drive saws have the motor mounted behind the blade. Compact circular saws are smaller and lighter, making them easier to maneuver. There are also corded and cordless circular saws, with cordless models being more portable but typically less powerful.

3. How do you choose the right circular saw for a specific project?

To choose the right circular saw, you need to consider the type of material you will be cutting, the depth of the cut you need, and the power source available. For example, if you are cutting thick or dense materials, you may need a more powerful saw with a larger blade. Additionally, the type of cut you need, such as a straight cut or a bevel cut, may require a specific type of circular saw.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when using a circular saw?

When using a circular saw, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, earplugs, and gloves. Always make sure the saw is unplugged or the battery is removed before changing the blade or performing maintenance. Keep your hands away from the blade and always use the guard to cover the blade when not in use. It is also important to have a stable work surface and secure the material being cut to prevent it from moving.

5. How can you maintain and extend the lifespan of a circular saw?

To maintain a circular saw, it is important to regularly clean the blade and the saw's motor housing to remove any build-up of debris or sawdust. You should also periodically check the blade for any signs of damage or dullness and replace it as needed. It is also important to store the saw in a dry location and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. Additionally, using the right blade for the material being cut and following the manufacturer's instructions can help extend the lifespan of the saw.