How Do You Determine the Interval of Convergence for a Series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
knv
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
1. Find the radius and the interval of convergence for the series:

Ʃ n=2 --> inf : [(-1)nxn]/ [4nln(n)]





2.To find the radius, we use the alternating series test. **an+1/an




3. From the alternating series test I find that the limit as n --> inf = 4. So our radius is 4. Although I do not know how to get the intervals from the radius. Can anyone help me?

Would we just plug in ±4 for x and solve for convergence or divergence?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
knv said:
1. Find the radius and the interval of convergence for the series:

Ʃ n=2 --> inf : [(-1)nxn]/ [4nln(n)]





2.To find the radius, we use the alternating series test. **an+1/an
You mean the ratio test.
3. From the alternating series test I find that the limit as n --> inf = 4. So our radius is 4. Although I do not know how to get the intervals from the radius. Can anyone help me?

Would we just plug in ±4 for x and solve for convergence or divergence?

Yes. You know you have convergence for ##-4 < x < 4##. So just check to see which, if any, of the end points to include.