1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the amplitude?

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    a block of mass 4kg is hung from a spring, causing it to stretch 8cm at equilibrium. the 4kg block is then replaced by a 5kg block. the accleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. how far will the 5kg block fall before its direction is reversed?

i dont know if this helps but i found K for the first block

i dont know anything else. HELP PLEASE:confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    8 cm is .08 m, not .8 m.
    Just find the distance to the from the old equilibrium point to the new one (the amplitude of oscillation) and multiply by two.
  4. Jan 22, 2006 #3

how do you find the amplitude?
  5. Jan 23, 2006 #4
    Use the conservation of energy principal:
    In the beggining of the motion, the spring is unstretched, so it has no energy whatsoever, but the mass has potential energy m*g*x, where x is the distance it will fall before coming to a halt.
    In the end of the motion, the mass stops falling and is momentarily at rest, so it has neither potential nor kinetic energy. The spring, however, is now stretched by distance x from equilibrium, so the energy it has equals 0.5k*x^2. The energy at the beginning must be equal to the energy at the end, so you can write an equation and solve it to find x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?