1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the determinant

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]
    How do I find the value of a for which there will be no solution?
    Do you find the determinant, equate it to 0 and solve for a?

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One perfectly good method would be to try to solve that system of equations by the usual "elimination" methods (I would be inclined to subtract one equation from the other) and see what values of a make it impossible to solve the equationl (For example, you can't divide by 0.)

By the way, the question (which I notice is NOT part of the copied statement) is not well phrased. The is NO value of a "for which there will be no solution". There is a value of a for which either there is no solution or there are an infinite number of solutions, depending on b.

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    by making a 1 you are making the matrix cingular because the row vectors are now linearlly dependent. I think the method you're using should work also... You would get
    a-1 = 0...

5. May 11, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Two straight lines will always intersect except if what about the lines are the same?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?