1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the difference in the angle of refraction?

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sunlight strikes a piece of crown glass at an angle of incidence of 36.7 degrees. Calculate the difference in the angle of refraction between a orange (610. nm) and a violet (410. nm) ray within the glass. The indices of refraction for the orange and the violet are n = 1.522 and n = 1.538, respectively

2. Relevant equations

I know that the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know how to solve this with the information I'm given. I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    This is REFRACTION you need the relationship between Sini and Sinr

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    so then I'm even more confused. So I have sin(36.7)= ? How do I set it up?

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4

This shows me that you're not quite sure what you're being asked.

In every material, the 'n' value (index of refraction) is a function of wavelength. Each wavelength in the visible range of light is received by our eyes as different colours.
    The question is asking you: If a beam of white light (containing all wavelengths) strikes the glass at angle ∅, what will be the difference in the refracted angle between orange and violet.

All you have to do is apply snell's law twice (to each colour), and compare the answers.

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5
    But I'm given that the wavelength of orange is 610 nm and the indices of refraction is n = 1.522 and the wavelength of violet is 410 nm and the indices of refraction is n = 1.538. So How do I set it up if I'm given all of this information?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook