How do you find the difference in the angle of refraction?

• Thread starter angiep410
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Sunlight strikes a piece of crown glass at an angle of incidence of 36.7 degrees. Calculate the difference in the angle of refraction between a orange (610. nm) and a violet (410. nm) ray within the glass. The indices of refraction for the orange and the violet are n = 1.522 and n = 1.538, respectively

Homework Equations

I know that the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to solve this with the information I'm given. I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me?

Answers and Replies

This is REFRACTION you need the relationship between Sini and Sinr

This is REFRACTION you need the relationship between Sini and Sinr
so then I'm even more confused. So I have sin(36.7)= ? How do I set it up?

I know that the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection

This shows me that you're not quite sure what you're being asked.

In every material, the 'n' value (index of refraction) is a function of wavelength. Each wavelength in the visible range of light is received by our eyes as different colours.
The question is asking you: If a beam of white light (containing all wavelengths) strikes the glass at angle ∅, what will be the difference in the refracted angle between orange and violet.

All you have to do is apply snell's law twice (to each colour), and compare the answers.

But I'm given that the wavelength of orange is 610 nm and the indices of refraction is n = 1.522 and the wavelength of violet is 410 nm and the indices of refraction is n = 1.538. So How do I set it up if I'm given all of this information?