How do you find the minimal polynomial?

In summary: I gave you). Then, if theta is not equal to pi, then the minimal polynomial is equal to the characteristic polynomial. If theta equals pi, then the minimal polynomial is the negative of the identity.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

If we have a transformation matrix [itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 4 \\0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the characteristic polynomial of this matrix: [itex] x^3 - x^2 [/itex] = [itex] x^2(x-1) [/itex]...can anybody please help me?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
Are you doing some sort of course?
There should be something in your course-notes that tell you how the minimal polynomial is related to the characteristic polynomial.

Also see:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081204110100AAo5kS8

I do know that the minimal polynomial divides the characteristic polynomial. But there is nothing else about how to find it in my notes. But thanks, I will look at the link that you gave me...

Surely there is a definition? The "minimal polynomial" of a linear transformation is the polynomial of lowest degree that is made equal to 0 by the linear transformation. Yes, it must divide the "characteristic polynomial". And the only divisors of [itex]x^2(x- 1)[/itex] are [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x^2[/itex], [itex]x- 1[/itex], [itex]x(x- 1)[/itex], and [itex]x^2(x- 1)[/itex]. Which of does A make 0?

Artusartos said:

Homework Statement

If we have a transformation matrix [itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 4 \\0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the characteristic polynomial of this matrix: [itex] x^3 - x^2 [/itex] = [itex] x^2(x-1) [/itex]...can anybody please help me?

Thanks in advance

You could do what Maple does, which is to regard the identity matrix I and the matrices A, A^2, A^3,... as being spread out into n^2-dimensional vectors, then use row operations to find the least m such that I,A,A^2, ... , A^m are linearly dependent, and to find the coefficients involved.

However, in your case that is overkill. Just follow the previous suggestions, and test the polynomials x^2 and x(1-x) to see if either of them annihilate A. If not, minimal = characteristic.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You could do what Maple does, which is to regard the identity matrix I and the matrices A, A^2, A^3,... as being spread out into n^2-dimensional vectors, then use row operations to find the least m such that I,A,A^2, ... , A^m are linearly dependent, and to find the coefficients involved.

However, in your case that is overkill. Just follow the previous suggestions, and test the polynomials x^2 and x(1-x) to see if either of them annihilate A. If not, minimal = characteristic.

RGV

By, "A", you mean the transformation matrix, right?

HallsofIvy said:
Surely there is a definition? The "minimal polynomial" of a linear transformation is the polynomial of lowest degree that is made equal to 0 by the linear transformation. Yes, it must divide the "characteristic polynomial". And the only divisors of [itex]x^2(x- 1)[/itex] are [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x^2[/itex], [itex]x- 1[/itex], [itex]x(x- 1)[/itex], and [itex]x^2(x- 1)[/itex]. Which of does A make 0?

Thanks a lot. I think I was able to do it for this matrix...but I have another matrix that I'm a bit confused about...

[itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & cos( \theta) \\0 & sin( \theta) \end{bmatrix}[/itex] where theta is between zero and 2pi.

This is what the professor told us:

If theta is not equal to pi, then the minimal polynomial is equal to the characteristic polynomial. If theta equals pi, then the minimal polynomial is the negative of the identity. I found the characteristic polynomial to be...[itex]f(x)= x^2 - x - x sin( \theta) + sin( \theta)[/itex]...but now, I have theta in the equation. So how will that work? I won't be able to substitute my matrix for x and get zero when theta is in there...

Artusartos said:
By, "A", you mean the transformation matrix, right?

Yes, of course. You have a matrix, and you need sometimes to give it a name.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

Can you expand on what you have said about that maple thing? Because our professor said something similar...but I'm not sure I understood him correctly...

He told us to use this matrix:

[itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 4 & 8\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

to make it linearly dependent (this question actually has many parts, so the matrix I gave is related to this one...except that this one is linearly dependent of course...this is the least one that is linearly dependent, by the way). So can you explain the maple method too? If you don't mind...

Artusartos said:
Can you expand on what you have said about that maple thing? Because our professor said something similar...but I'm not sure I understood him correctly...

He told us to use this matrix:

[itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 4 & 8\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

to make it linearly dependent (this question actually has many parts, so the matrix I gave is related to this one...except that this one is linearly dependent of course...this is the least one that is linearly dependent, by the way). So can you explain the maple method too? If you don't mind...

This won't work: is is a 3×4 matrix, so you cannot even square it. If we drop column 4 we obtain a 3×3 matrix A, but it is too easy to show what is happening, since it satisfies A2 = A, so has minimum polynomial x2- x. Let's try instead the matrix
[tex]B = \begin{bmatrix}1&2&3\\1&0&0\\0&1&1 \end{bmatrix},\\
\text{ giving }\\
B^2 = \begin{bmatrix}3&5&6\\1&2&3\\1&1&1\end{bmatrix} \\
B^3 = \begin{bmatrix} 8&12&15\\3&5&6\\2&3&4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Form the vectors
[tex] I \leftrightarrow v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&0&1&0&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}\\
A \leftrightarrow v_1 = \begin{bmatrix}1&2&3&1&0&0&0&1&1\end{bmatrix}\\
A^2 \leftrightarrow v_2 = \begin{bmatrix}3&5&6&1&2&3&1&1&1\end{bmatrix}\\
A^3 \leftrightarrow v_3 = \begin{bmatrix}8&12&15&3&5&6&2&3&4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Now start doing row-operations on v0,v1,v2,v3:
[tex] v_1' = v_1-v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}0&2&3&1&-1&0&9&1&0\end{bmatrix}\\
v_2' = v_2 -3v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}0&5&6&1&-1&3&1&1&-2\end{bmatrix}\\
v_3' = v_3 - 8v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}0&12&15&3&-3&6&2&3&-4\end{bmatrix}\\
[/tex]
Since v_1' ≠ 0 and v_2' ≠ 0 we are not yet done with row-reduction. Now "zero out" the second components of v_2' and v_3', by subtracting multiples of v_1':
[tex] v_2'' = v_2' - (5/2)v_1' = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&-3/2&-3/2&3/2&3&1&-3/2&2\end{bmatrix}\\
v_3'' = v_3' - 6v_1' = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&-3&-3&3&6&2&-3&-4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Since v_2'' ≠ 0 the minimal polynomial is of degree 3 (so is the characteristic polynomial). If we want to, we can even determine characteristic polynomial by continuing the process:
[tex]
v_3''' = v_3'' - [(-3)/(-3/2)]v_2'' = v_3'' -2 v_2'' =
\begin{bmatrix}0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Thus, we have
[tex] 0 = v_3''' = v_3 - 2v_2 - v_1 - v_0 \leftrightarrow A^3 - 2A^2 - A - I, [/tex]
so the characteristic polynomial is
[tex] p(x) = x^3 - 2x^2 - x - 1.[/tex]

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
This won't work: is is a 3×4 matrix, so you cannot even square it. If we drop column 4 we obtain a 3×3 matrix A, but it is too easy to show what is happening, since it satisfies A2 = A, so has minimum polynomial x2- x. Let's try instead the matrix
[tex]B = \begin{bmatrix}1&2&3\\1&0&0\\0&1&1 \end{bmatrix},\\
\text{ giving }\\
B^2 = \begin{bmatrix}3&5&6\\1&2&3\\1&1&1\end{bmatrix} \\
B^3 = \begin{bmatrix} 8&12&15\\3&5&6\\2&3&4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Form the vectors
[tex] I \leftrightarrow v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&0&1&0&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}\\
A \leftrightarrow v_1 = \begin{bmatrix}1&2&3&1&0&0&0&1&1\end{bmatrix}\\
A^2 \leftrightarrow v_2 = \begin{bmatrix}3&5&6&1&2&3&1&1&1\end{bmatrix}\\
A^3 \leftrightarrow v_3 = \begin{bmatrix}8&12&15&3&5&6&2&3&4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Now start doing row-operations on v0,v1,v2,v3:
[tex] v_1' = v_1-v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}0&2&3&1&-1&0&9&1&0\end{bmatrix}\\
v_2' = v_2 -3v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}0&5&6&1&-1&3&1&1&-2\end{bmatrix}\\
v_3' = v_3 - 8v_0 = \begin{bmatrix}0&12&15&3&-3&6&2&3&-4\end{bmatrix}\\
[/tex]
Since v_1' ≠ 0 and v_2' ≠ 0 we are not yet done with row-reduction. Now "zero out" the second components of v_2' and v_3', by subtracting multiples of v_1':
[tex] v_2'' = v_2' - (5/2)v_1' = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&-3/2&-3/2&3/2&3&1&-3/2&2\end{bmatrix}\\
v_3'' = v_3' - 6v_1' = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&-3&-3&3&6&2&-3&-4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Since v_2'' ≠ 0 the minimal polynomial is of degree 3 (so is the characteristic polynomial). If we want to, we can even determine characteristic polynomial by continuing the process:
[tex]
v_3''' = v_3'' - [(-3)/(-3/2)]v_2'' = v_3'' -2 v_2'' =
\begin{bmatrix}0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Thus, we have
[tex] 0 = v_3''' = v_3 - 2v_2 - v_1 - v_0 \leftrightarrow A^3 - 2A^2 - A - I, [/tex]
so the characteristic polynomial is
[tex] p(x) = x^3 - 2x^2 - x - 1.[/tex]

RGV

Thanks a lot :)

1. How do you determine the minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial of a given matrix or linear operator is the smallest degree polynomial that can be used to express it. It can be found by using the characteristic polynomial and performing polynomial long division.

2. What is the importance of finding the minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial is important because it provides information about the behavior of a matrix or linear operator. It can help determine the eigenvalues, diagonalizability, and other important properties.

3. Can the minimal polynomial be found for any matrix or linear operator?

Yes, the minimal polynomial can be found for any square matrix or linear operator. However, for non-square matrices, the concept of minimal polynomial does not apply.

4. Is the minimal polynomial unique?

No, the minimal polynomial is not necessarily unique. A matrix or linear operator can have multiple minimal polynomials, but they will all have the same degree and the same roots.

5. How does the degree of a minimal polynomial relate to the size of the matrix or operator?

The degree of a minimal polynomial is always less than or equal to the size of the matrix or operator. For example, a 3x3 matrix can have a minimal polynomial of degree 3 or less.