How Do You Find the Scalar Equation of a Plane from Two Points and a Vector?

  • Thread starter Thread starter agenttiny200
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Scalar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
agenttiny200
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the scalar equation of the plane containing the points A(-3, 1, 1) and B(-4, 0, 3) and the vector u = [1, 2, 3].

Homework Equations



I am at a lost, since I can't tell how to figure out the normal vector. I am supposed to find:
Ax+By+Cz+D=0, where [A,B,C] is the normal vector.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know. I can find the scalar equation of three separate points, but I am not sure here. Either I am not thinking about this the right way, or I am honestly lost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have two points given. From that you can get a vector.

Then you'll have two vectors since one is already given.

From there how would you get the normal vector?
 
This is what I mean, not thinking. cross product, then I have normal vector, and I have my scalar equation.

Thanks for that.
 
Just so that I don't have to start a new thread, I want to ask another question about scalar equations (Cartesian equations):
How do you find the scalar equation when given the vector equation of a line in 3-space?

I am given an equation like this:
[x, y, z] = [3, 1, 5] + s[-2, 3, -1] + t[2, 1, -2]

I am assuming I set one of the vectors as the origin, subtract it from the other vectors, and find the normal of the resulting vectors?

I am weak in my understanding of scalar equations and just want to double check to see if I am right.
 
You are already given two vectors there.

You need to take the cross product of those two, which will give you the normal vector.