How do you find the volume?

In summary, to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y = 4x-x^2 and y = 2x about the y-axis, you need to express x in terms of y using the completing the square technique and then use the "cylinder method" to integrate with respect to x. If the axis of revolution is not y = 0, you can change variables or use the "cylinder method" with a modified formula.
EverythingIsACircle
Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y = 4x-x^2 and y = 2x about the y-axis. About the line x = 2.

Since this is rotated about the y-axis, I know I have to manipulate the equation so I can get to x = something. The problem is I cannot change the equation y = 4x-x^2.

Questions:
How would you find the volume that is rotated about the y-axis while the equations are y = form instead of x =? If it is not possible, then what do I have to do in this case?
How would you find the volume if the axis of revolution is not y = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to express x in terms of y. Use the completing the square technique.
How would you find the volume if the axis of revolution is not y = 0?
Change variables. Replace ##x## by ##x'=x-2##.

You can use the "cylinder method" rather that the "disk method" to integrate with respect to x. Imagine a line extending upward from each value of x. That line cuts the "region bounded by [itex]y = 4x-x^2[/itex] and y = 2x", for x between 0 and 2, in a line segment of length [itex](4x- x^2)- 2x= 2x-x^2[/itex]. Rotating around the y-axis that forms a cylinder of radius x and height [itex]2x- x^2[/itex] so area [itex]2\pi x(2x- x^2)= 2\pi (2x^2- x^3)[/itex]. Taking the "thickness" of each cylinder to be "dx", the whole volume is given by [itex]2\pi \int_0^2 2x^2- x^3 dx[/itex].

1. What is the formula for finding volume?

The formula for finding volume varies depending on the shape of the object. For a cube or rectangular prism, the formula is length x width x height. For a cylinder, the formula is π x radius^2 x height. For a sphere, the formula is 4/3 x π x radius^3. Other shapes may have different formulas.

2. How do you measure volume?

Volume is typically measured using a unit of measurement such as cubic centimeters or cubic meters. To measure the volume of a solid object, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the dimensions (length, width, and height) and then use the appropriate formula to calculate the volume.

3. What is the difference between volume and capacity?

Volume and capacity are often used interchangeably, but they technically refer to different things. Volume is the amount of space occupied by a solid object, while capacity refers to the amount of liquid or gas that a container can hold.

4. Can you find the volume of an irregularly shaped object?

Yes, the volume of an irregularly shaped object can be found using the displacement method. This involves placing the object in a container of water and measuring the amount of water that is displaced. The volume of the object is equal to the amount of water it displaces.

5. How do you find the volume of a gas?

The volume of a gas can be found using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and pressure, and inversely proportional to its number of moles. This can be represented by the formula V = nRT/P, where V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and P is pressure.