18 Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about y-axis.

In summary, we can find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the y-axis by using the shell method or the washer method. Using the shell method, we get a volume of $\frac{27}{2}\pi$, which is the same as using the washer method.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textsf{Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region
about y-axis.Given the boundares of }\\$
\begin{align*} \displaystyle
y&=4x-x^2\\
y&=x\\
\end{align*}

Ok, I presume since this is rotated around the y-axis that we have to rewrite the equations in terms of y

$y=-(x^2-4x)$
$4-y=(x-2)^2$
$\sqrt{4-y}=x-2$
$\sqrt{4-y}+2=x$

and

$x=y$

But the graph is not complete and is this not the same volume if it were rotated around the x-axis.

I thought this was going to be very easy, but going around the y-axis was confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• 18.PNG
    18.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 90
I would use the shell method, so you don't have to use two integrals...what is the radii of the shells...what is the height?

\begin{align*}
\displaystyle
\int_0^3 2\pi x (3x-x^2)dx& = 2\pi \int_0^3 (3x^2-x^3)dx\\
& = 2\pi \left[x^3-\dfrac{x^4}{4}\right]_0^3 \\
&= 2\pi\left(27-\dfrac{81}{4}\right)\\
&= \dfrac{27\pi}{2}
\end{align*}

I followed an example in book!
hope its right

Last edited:
karush said:
\begin{align*}
\displaystyle
\int_0^3 2\pi x (3x-x^2)dx& = 2\pi \int_0^3 (3x^2-x^3)dx\\
& = 2\pi \left[x^3-\dfrac{x^4}{4}\right]_0^3 \\
&= 2\pi\left(27-\dfrac{81}{4}\right)\\
&= \dfrac{27\pi}{2}
\end{align*}

I followed an example in book!
hope its right

Let's check by using the washer method:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\left(R^2-r^2\right)\,dy\)

On $[0,3)$:

\(\displaystyle R=y,\,r=2-\sqrt{4-y}\)

On $[3,4]$:

\(\displaystyle R=2+\sqrt{4-y},\,r=2-\sqrt{4-y}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\left(\int_0^3 y^2-\left(2-\sqrt{4-y}\right)^2\,dy+\int_3^4 \left(2+\sqrt{4-y}\right)^2-\left(2-\sqrt{4-y}\right)^2\,dy\right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\left(\int_0^3 y^2-\left(8-y-4\sqrt{4-y}\right)\,dy+\int_3^4 \left(4\right)\left(2\sqrt{4-y}\right)\,dy\right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\left(\int_0^3 y^2+y+4\sqrt{4-y}-8\,dy+8\int_3^4 \sqrt{4-y}\,dy\right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\left(\left[\frac{y^3}{3}+\frac{y^2}{2}-8y\right]_0^3+\frac{8}{3}\left(\left[u^{\frac{3}{2}}\right]_1^4+2\left[u^{\frac{3}{2}}\right]_0^1\right)\right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\left(9+\frac{9}{2}-24+\frac{8}{3}\left((8-1)+2\right)\right)=\frac{27}{2}\pi\quad\checkmark\)

1. What does it mean to "revolve a region about the y-axis"?

Revolution is the process of rotating an object around an axis. In this case, revolving a region about the y-axis means to rotate the specified region around the y-axis, creating a three-dimensional solid.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis?

To find the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis, we use the formula V = π∫(upper function)^2 - (lower function)^2 dy, where π is pi, and the upper and lower functions are the equations that define the boundaries of the region being revolved.

3. What information do I need to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis?

To find the volume, you will need the equations that define the boundaries of the region being revolved and the limits of integration (the starting and ending points for the revolution).

4. Can I use this formula to find the volume of any solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the volume of any solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis, as long as the region's boundaries can be described by functions and the limits of integration are known.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis?

Finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region about the y-axis has many practical applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, a cylindrical container, or a bottle. It is also used in engineering and architecture to determine the volume of 3D structures, such as pipes and columns.