How do you find threshold frequency? (given wavelength and KE of electrons)

In summary, to find the threshold frequency of a silver surface irradiated with light of 230 nm wavelength and causing electrons to be ejected with 77.67 kJ/mol of kinetic energy, one would need to use the equation threshold frequency = work function / Planck's constant. However, this equation cannot be used without knowing the value of the work function. To find the work function, the given information (wavelength and kinetic energy) can be used. Additionally, to find the kinetic energy of 1 electron, one would need to divide the given kinetic energy of 77.67 kJ/mol by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23). The energy of a photon of 230 nm wavelength can
fizzicsdummy
If you are told that a silver surface is irradiated with light having a wavelength of 230 nm that causes electrons to be ejected with 77.67 kJ/mol of kinetic energy, how would you find the threshold frequency?

I know that threshold frequency = W / h. W is the work function and h is Planck's constant.

I seriously don't know where to go from there. Obviously, I would be able to get an answer if I could obtain a value for the work function. However, I don't know what equation would allow me to use the given information (the wavelength and kinetic energy) to find the work function value. If anyone could help me with that, that would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If 1 mole of electrons has 77.67 kJ of kinetic energy, how much kinetic energy does 1 electron have?

Also, what's the energy of a photon of wavelength 230 nm?

To find the threshold frequency in this scenario, we can use the equation E = hf - Φ, where E is the energy of the ejected electron, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the light, and Φ is the work function. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the threshold frequency, which is given by f = (E + Φ) / h.

In this case, we are given the energy of the ejected electron (77.67 kJ/mol) and the wavelength of the light (230 nm). We can use the equation c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, to find the frequency of the light. Rearranging this equation gives us f = c / λ. Plugging in the values for c (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) and λ (230 nm = 2.30 x 10^-7 m), we get a frequency of 1.30 x 10^15 Hz.

Now, we can plug in this value for frequency into our equation for the threshold frequency: f = (E + Φ) / h. We know the energy of the ejected electron (77.67 kJ/mol), so we just need to solve for the work function (Φ). Rearranging the equation, we get Φ = hf - E. Plugging in the values for h and f, we get a work function of 4.08 x 10^-19 J.

Therefore, the threshold frequency for this scenario is 1.30 x 10^15 Hz and the work function is 4.08 x 10^-19 J. This means that any light with a frequency lower than 1.30 x 10^15 Hz will not be able to eject electrons from the silver surface, and the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron is 4.08 x 10^-19 J.

1. What is threshold frequency and why is it important in finding the KE of electrons?

Threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required to eject electrons from the surface of a metal. It is important in finding the KE of electrons because it helps determine the energy required to liberate electrons from the metal surface, which is directly related to the KE of the ejected electrons.

2. How do you calculate threshold frequency given the wavelength and KE of electrons?

The equation for calculating threshold frequency is f0 = KE/h, where f0 is the threshold frequency, KE is the kinetic energy of the electrons, and h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s). Simply rearrange the equation to solve for f0 and plug in the given values.

3. Can threshold frequency be measured experimentally?

Yes, threshold frequency can be measured experimentally by using a photoelectric effect apparatus. This involves shining light of various frequencies on a metal surface and measuring the minimum frequency required to eject electrons. This frequency would be the threshold frequency.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the threshold frequency?

The intensity of light has no effect on the threshold frequency. The threshold frequency is solely determined by the material of the metal surface and is independent of the intensity of the incident light.

5. What happens to the threshold frequency when the wavelength of light is decreased?

As the wavelength of light decreases, the threshold frequency increases. This is because the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, so a higher frequency (shorter wavelength) light will have more energy to eject electrons from the metal surface, requiring a higher threshold frequency.