1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Threshold frequency and wavelength of electrons in the photoelectric effect

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electrons are emitted from a metal as a consequence of their absorption of energy from a light beam. Find the threshold frequency of the metal and the wavelength of emitted electrons.

Wavelength of incident light λ = 500 nm
    Work function of the metal [itex]\phi[/itex] = 2.1 eV

2. Relevant equations

Threshold frequency:

f0 = [itex]\frac{\phi}{h}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Threshold frequency:

f0 = [itex]\frac{2.1 eV}{4.136 \times 10^{-15} eV·s }[/itex] = 5.08 × 1014 Hz

Is this correct?

How can I find the wavelength of emitted electrons?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 3, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the confirmation.

As I understand the photoelectric effect, one photon transfers all of its energy to an electron, so the energy absorbed by any electron must be the same (for a monochromatic beam), in this case hc/(500 nm) = 2.48 eV. Electrons need at least 2.1 eV to escape this metal, so they must have a maximum kinetic energy of 0.38 eV. Since not all of them have the same kinetic energy (due to losses) I assume they must have different wavelengths as well, how can I find the wavelength of emitted electrons?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can assume that they all have 0.38 eV. If you like, use "<=" in the calculations, but that won't change much.

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5
    Ok, so it would be λ = [itex]\frac{hc}{\sqrt{2mc^2K}} \approx[/itex] 2 nm, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook