Threshold frequency and wavelength of electrons in the photoelectric effect

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 14K views
Ezequiel
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Electrons are emitted from a metal as a consequence of their absorption of energy from a light beam. Find the threshold frequency of the metal and the wavelength of emitted electrons.

Wavelength of incident light λ = 500 nm
Work function of the metal [itex]\phi[/itex] = 2.1 eV

Homework Equations



Threshold frequency:

f0 = [itex]\frac{\phi}{h}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Threshold frequency:

f0 = [itex]\frac{2.1 eV}{4.136 \times 10^{-15} eV·s }[/itex] = 5.08 × 1014 Hz

Is this correct?

How can I find the wavelength of emitted electrons?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the confirmation.

As I understand the photoelectric effect, one photon transfers all of its energy to an electron, so the energy absorbed by any electron must be the same (for a monochromatic beam), in this case hc/(500 nm) = 2.48 eV. Electrons need at least 2.1 eV to escape this metal, so they must have a maximum kinetic energy of 0.38 eV. Since not all of them have the same kinetic energy (due to losses) I assume they must have different wavelengths as well, how can I find the wavelength of emitted electrons?
 
Ok, so it would be λ = [itex]\frac{hc}{\sqrt{2mc^2K}} \approx[/itex] 2 nm, right?