How do you head up a big can of plastic?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dickie B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Head Plastic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Dickie B
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have a cylinder of plastic (polypropylene). It is 1 meter in diameter and 1.25 meters long. It starts out at an even temperature of 100 C throughout. I put it into a 135 deg heated room with lots of air moving around it, and I hold it in the air so that every surface is exposed to the hot air. How long will it take for the plastic cylinder (inside and out) to reach the temperature of the room?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could start with the lumped capacitance model and see of your Biot number is within limits. If not, you will need some more detailed models that account for the temperature gradient.