1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing Heisenberg Uncertainty Value

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a particle in a one dimensional box of length L, whose potential energy is V(x)=0 for 0<x<L, and infinite otherwise.Given the wave function at ground state ψ=sqrt(2/L)sin (pi*x/L) Compute ΔxΔp where

2. Relevant equations

Δx=sqrt(<x^2>-<x>^2) and Δp=sqrt(<p^2>-<p>^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have set the expected value for as <x^2> equal to the integral from 0 to L ψ1(x)(x^2)ψ1(x)dx, as done by my prof. I then evaluated this to 2/L*the integral from 0 to L x^2sin^2(pi*x/L)dx. However I am stuck here, and my prof's solution goes straight to L^2(1/3-1/2pi^2). I am confused as to how he evaluated this integral and the role of (x^2) in the equation, if steps could be shown that would help immensely, also when calculating <x>, is x included in the integral, and how might it be evaluated if included with sin^2(pi*x/L). Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is just integration not QM. But you first step is to use a trig identity sin(u)^2=(1-cos(2u))/2 to get rid of the power on the sin. Now multiply it out and start using integration by parts to deal with the x^2*cos part. You must have seen these things somewhere before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook