How do you join metal and metal (steel to aluminum)

In summary, you can weld aluminum to steel, but that is far beyond the scope of your project. I'd drill some inserts to fit the threaded rod into, epoxy them into place and go from there.
stinkingbowel
hi there, i want to connect two pieces of metal together one is i think a piece of steel capable of being attracted by a magnet and the other piece an aluminum piece, or maybe another metal, but not magnetic at all anyway they're both solid pieces and need to be joined. is brazing or using silver solder a good option here? what am i going to need to buy?
thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org

what am i going to need to buy?

Epoxy resin

stinkingbowel said:
hi there, i want to connect two pieces of metal together one is i think a piece of steel capable of being attracted by a magnet and the other piece an aluminum piece, or maybe another metal, but not magnetic at all anyway they're both solid pieces and need to be joined. is brazing or using silver solder a good option here? what am i going to need to buy?
thank you

Can you say more about the application? Obviously you need to worry about corrosion with those two different metals. Looking around the web, it looks like an option is to use galvanized rivets or bolts and a spacer between the two pieces...

no it has to be welded
it's a piece that i am trying to attach to the bar clamp. let me see what i can do as far as pictures.

do you see this?

pica.jpg

join metal and metal (steel to aluminum)

now i want a different grip for it like this, or a different caul

2clamp.jpg

Make it out of aluminum (or steel, whichever the main clamp is made of) and TIG it

Travis_King said:
Make it out of aluminum (or steel, whichever the main clamp is made of) and TIG it

well i don't have a welder, dude. i can buy a Brazing Kit. $30.
i wanted to know if that could do.

Brazing steel is pretty easy. Brazing aluminum is a mysterious art for someone who has never done it. But if you have a desire to learn, you can get good information from your welding supplier, or search the web. The trick is to match the right materials, rod material, and temperatures. You may also need to heat treat afterwards.

But for something like this, it is hardly worth the effort unless you are looking for a learning exercise that is likely to include several iterations, especially since you don't know which alloy you are dealing with.

I would use epoxy backed up with mechanical fasteners.

Edit: you can weld aluminum to steel, but that is far beyond the scope of your project. I've seen it done on rare occasions via friction inertial welding.

Last edited:
Pkruse said:
Brazing steel is pretty easy. Brazing aluminum is a mysterious art for someone who has never done it. But if you have a desire to learn, you can get good information from your welding supplier, or search the web. The trick is to match the right materials, rod material, and temperatures. You may also need to heat treat afterwards.

But for something like this, it is hardly worth the effort unless you are looking for a learning exercise that is likely to include several iterations, especially since you don't know which alloy you are dealing with.

I would use epoxy backed up with mechanical fasteners.

Edit: you can weld aluminum to steel, but that is far beyond the scope of your project. I've seen it done on rare occasions via friction inertial welding.
right
like i don't have a garage or space to start welding lol
and again i am guessing it's aluminum. it might be a different metal.

they're actually zinc. i was way off-base.
so zinc to steel? weldable? can they be brazed possibly? what do you think?

The boiling point of zinc is below steel's melting point. Are you sure they are fully zinc, or zinc-coated? Also Zinc contains volatiles that are released when burned and are pretty hazardous. You aren't going to get a good connection between these two materials.

My suggestion (though I know you don't have access to a welder) would be to weld threaded rod onto locations on the clamp, drill holes in the zinc piece, and then bolt.

As Pkruse suggested, epoxy might be your friend for this one. I'd drill some inserts to fit the threaded rod into, epoxy them into place and go from there.

stinkingbowel said:
they're actually zinc...
Are you certain? I would bet on them being cast-iron.

I also recommend a bolt-on solution. Without the proper equipment and experience, attempting to weld or braze dissimilar metals is just going to give you headaches.

pantaz said:
is just going to give you headaches.

Literally...

I just wanted to re-stress the point that burning zinc releases toxic fumes.

i am certain.

pantaz said:
Are you certain? I would bet on them being cast-iron.

I also recommend a bolt-on solution. Without the proper equipment and experience, attempting to weld or braze dissimilar metals is just going to give you headaches.

they're cast and they have different finishes as in they're finished with either brass, pewter dark bronze or satin nickel.

Travis_King said:
Literally...

I just wanted to re-stress the point that burning zinc releases toxic fumes.

so would you still go with epoxy that is a LePage Epoxy Steel as your #1 method?

The epoxy will be more effective if you heavily scuff up the surfaces you want to join. Epoxy also works best with a fairly thick glue line, so I would not clamp them together too tightly. Tape can usually provide enough clamping force.

1. What is the best method for joining steel and aluminum?

The most commonly used method for joining steel and aluminum is through welding. This involves heating the metals to their melting points and fusing them together. However, other methods such as adhesive bonding and mechanical fastening can also be used.

2. Can steel and aluminum be welded together?

Yes, steel and aluminum can be welded together. However, it requires specialized techniques and materials due to the difference in the melting points of the two metals. Additionally, proper surface preparation and joining techniques are crucial for a strong and durable weld.

3. What are the challenges of joining steel and aluminum?

One of the main challenges of joining steel and aluminum is the difference in their physical properties. Steel is a harder and stronger metal, while aluminum is lighter and more malleable. This can make it difficult to find a suitable welding method that can effectively join the two metals without causing distortion or weakening the joint.

4. What are the advantages of using adhesive bonding for joining steel and aluminum?

Adhesive bonding is a popular alternative to welding for joining steel and aluminum. It offers several advantages, including lower production costs, greater design flexibility, and the ability to join dissimilar materials. Adhesives also provide a strong and durable bond without the need for heat, making it a more efficient and environmentally friendly method.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when joining steel and aluminum?

Yes, it is essential to take proper safety precautions when joining steel and aluminum, especially when using welding methods. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, eye protection, and respirators, as well as ensuring proper ventilation in the workspace. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions for any welding or adhesive bonding products to prevent accidents and ensure a successful joint.