How Wide Should Steel Be Pre-Bending for a 21 Finish with a 1 Lip?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
badgermanb
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I need a piece of .125" steel sheet metal to be 21" wide after a 1" lip is bent to 90 degrees on one side. How wide does the initial piece of steel need to be before bending in order to achieve this? I know it will be more than 22", but how much more?

If I recall its fairly simple to figure out I just can't remember how to do it. Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Excellent reference.

Note that the median fiber is not necessarily at the middle of the thickness. The actual machine doing the bending is going to dictate just where that median fiber is. You may very well find that it was closer to 1/3 from the inner surface than 1/2.