1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you know what goes together to form a 4-vector?

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    I've been studying relativity and standard model physics, and I don't understand how it is determined what 'things' go together to form a 4-vector. For example, there is the familiar energy momentum 4-vector, the charge-current density four vector, the phi-A (scalar/vector potential) 4-vector from electromagnetism, the frequency-wavevector four vector from special relativity, and so on and so forth.

Apart from the fact that these quantities evidently DO transform as four-vectors, is there some first principle argument that shows what quantities will go together to transform as a four-vector, like say in quantum mechanics where non-commuting operators indicate the existence of an uncertainty relation between quantities? Like how would you know that charge density and current density would form components of a 4vector and transform like one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Astrofiend! :smile:

If it turns up in a covariant equation, it has to be a spinor or a 4-vector or …

If it's one-dimensional, it'll be a 4-vector. :wink:

(eg current has dimension one, so it'll be part of a 4-vector, and so will its density)

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    Cheers mate - appreciate the response! I'll have to go away and think it over a bit...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook