Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you make a partical excelarator that uses negitive ions?

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    Im trying to make a partical excelerator for school using - ions but i cant find any b prints or any one who can help me. if any one can help or find some one that could at least explane some of it to me, it would be much appreceated

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2
    The biggest problem with accelerating negative ions is preventing stripping the excess electron off the ion during acceleration. It is possible to attach two electrons to a proton, creating an H-minus ion. There are ion sources designed specifically to generate H-minus ions. The best example of accelerating H-minus ions is the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS, www.SNS.gov[/URL]) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. These ions are accelerated to nearly 1000 MeV before both electros are stripped off.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook