1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you make a quiet (from splashing) waterfall

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    I am a designer (not engineer). I am trying to develop a quiet waterfall, or fountain. That is, that the water that falls into the pool, doesn't make a splashing noise. The falling water must fall into a pool of water, not onto a solid surface. Anyone have Ideas of how to make such a thing? Possibly adding something to the water, or some other Idea.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I dont completely follow what laminar flow is, other than the drops dont separate, and flow in a solid form, nor do I have any Idea how to make a laminar flow happen. However I am quite sure that this is not the visual affect that I want from the fountain. The fall is to look more like the natural waterfall , with random flow.

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Laminar flow just means smooth, like how a tap flows as a single unbroken stream of water before it breaks up into drops.
    If you want it to look like a moving waterfall you could try breaking up the surface where the water hits the pool with air bubbles from something like an aquarium air block + pump.
    You aren't going to make a large waterfall totally quiet though

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5
    Why would air bubble in the water make it more quiet?

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea is that the drops hititng a broken surface or water covered air bubbles would be quieter than the slap of a drop onto a flat surface.
    Just a guess really.

8. Nov 14, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

It makes good sense. I'm wondering, too, if something like glycerine might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook