How do you make a quiet (from splashing) waterfall

• Thread starter lone ranger
  • Start date
In summary, a person is looking for ideas to develop a quiet waterfall or fountain where the water falls into a pool instead of a solid surface. They mention the possibility of using laminar flow, but they are unsure how to achieve it and it may not have the visual effect they want. Another suggestion is to break up the surface of the water with air bubbles to make it quieter. Adding glycerine to the water is also suggested as a possibility.
lone ranger
I am a designer (not engineer). I am trying to develop a quiet waterfall, or fountain. That is, that the water that falls into the pool, doesn't make a splashing noise. The falling water must fall into a pool of water, not onto a solid surface. Anyone have Ideas of how to make such a thing? Possibly adding something to the water, or some other Idea.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
Can you arrange that the water flows as a laminar flow (ie a smooth flow) into the water rather than droplets?

Somethign like this http://mad-laboratory.com/tag/laminar/

Thanks for the reply. I don't completely follow what laminar flow is, other than the drops don't separate, and flow in a solid form, nor do I have any Idea how to make a laminar flow happen. However I am quite sure that this is not the visual affect that I want from the fountain. The fall is to look more like the natural waterfall , with random flow.

Laminar flow just means smooth, like how a tap flows as a single unbroken stream of water before it breaks up into drops.
If you want it to look like a moving waterfall you could try breaking up the surface where the water hits the pool with air bubbles from something like an aquarium air block + pump.
You aren't going to make a large waterfall totally quiet though

mgb_phys said:
Laminar flow just means smooth, like how a tap flows as a single unbroken stream of water before it breaks up into drops.
If you want it to look like a moving waterfall you could try breaking up the surface where the water hits the pool with air bubbles from something like an aquarium air block + pump.
You aren't going to make a large waterfall totally quiet though
Why would air bubble in the water make it more quiet?

The idea is that the drops hititng a broken surface or water covered air bubbles would be quieter than the slap of a drop onto a flat surface.
Just a guess really.

It makes good sense. I'm wondering, too, if something like glycerine might help.

1. How do you determine the best location for a quiet waterfall?

The best location for a quiet waterfall is usually in a secluded area away from noise sources such as roads, buildings, and high foot traffic. Additionally, a location with natural sound barriers like trees and rocks can help reduce the noise from the waterfall.

2. What type of materials should be used to create a quiet waterfall?

The materials used to create a quiet waterfall should be porous and absorbent, such as rocks, gravel, or vegetation. These materials can help reduce the sound of splashing water by absorbing and dispersing the energy of the water.

3. How can I adjust the flow of a waterfall to make it quieter?

The flow of a waterfall can be adjusted by using a flow control valve or a pump with adjustable flow settings. By decreasing the flow of water, you can reduce the amount of splashing and noise produced by the waterfall.

4. What other features can be added to a waterfall to make it quieter?

Some additional features that can help make a waterfall quieter include adding a natural stream bed with rocks and boulders, incorporating a small pond at the base of the waterfall, or installing a recirculating system that allows the water to continuously flow back to the top of the waterfall.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for keeping a quiet waterfall quiet?

To maintain a quiet waterfall, it is important to regularly clean and remove any debris or obstructions from the water flow. This can help prevent splashing and reduce noise. Additionally, regularly checking and adjusting the flow of water can also help maintain a quieter waterfall.