Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you make a quiet (from splashing) waterfall

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    I am a designer (not engineer). I am trying to develop a quiet waterfall, or fountain. That is, that the water that falls into the pool, doesn't make a splashing noise. The falling water must fall into a pool of water, not onto a solid surface. Anyone have Ideas of how to make such a thing? Possibly adding something to the water, or some other Idea.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I dont completely follow what laminar flow is, other than the drops dont separate, and flow in a solid form, nor do I have any Idea how to make a laminar flow happen. However I am quite sure that this is not the visual affect that I want from the fountain. The fall is to look more like the natural waterfall , with random flow.

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Laminar flow just means smooth, like how a tap flows as a single unbroken stream of water before it breaks up into drops.
    If you want it to look like a moving waterfall you could try breaking up the surface where the water hits the pool with air bubbles from something like an aquarium air block + pump.
    You aren't going to make a large waterfall totally quiet though

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5
    Why would air bubble in the water make it more quiet?

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea is that the drops hititng a broken surface or water covered air bubbles would be quieter than the slap of a drop onto a flat surface.
    Just a guess really.

8. Nov 14, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

It makes good sense. I'm wondering, too, if something like glycerine might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?