Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make water splash less?

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    Is there a term for the height that a liquid splashes above it's surface when a body falls into it?

There is a certain system in our house that is designed to drop viscoplastics at quasistatic speeds into a water vessel from a height of about 20 cm. Under normal operating conditions the water in the vessel does not splash onto the receptacle dropping the viscoplastics. However, this week the receptacle is ejecting a water-based substance at high speed, which causes the water in the vessel to splash up higher than normal. This is rather uncomfortable. Are there any common household products which one could add to water to reduce the height of the splash? I tried salt but there is no effective way of mixing it and it settles too quickly.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    put baffles in the tank.

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    Thanks, Cragar. The tank is actually a toilet, and that would be hard to clean! I did find that draping two layers of toilet paper over the water does help, though.

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good solution, you put disposable baffles in the tank :biggrin:

The original post here would make a great entry in a "Guess what is being described here" contest. :rofl:

But seriously, hope you're better soon dotancohen.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. Aug 14, 2011 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Excellent description! I hope you feel well soon too.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  7. Aug 14, 2011 #6
    That's pretty much the reverse path of how I got to posting: I tried to reduce the problem to something academic-sounding in the hopes that bells would start ringing. But I'm not a chemical engineer.

But it sounds like time for a contest! I'd love to see what others here come up with.

Finally starting too, thanks.

8. Aug 14, 2011 #7
    LOL!

How about increasing the viscosity of receptive fluid.

Maybe Jello . . . .

(BTW, the splash phenomenon described in the OP is known as 'Neptune's Kiss')

9. Aug 14, 2011 #8
    That's a great idea, seeing how unsuccessful I've been in increasing the viscosity of the effluvium. I'll see if I have some gelatin, though I don't know how well it will work without cooling.

I suppose that is a better moniker than "Uranus' endearment".

10. Aug 14, 2011 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A friend of mine has suggested trying some olive oil, which would float on the surface.

11. Aug 14, 2011 #10
    That's a good idea, thanks.

For the interested, talcum powder works as well by increasing the surface tension. Protip: powder it in when you leave so that it will be ready for when you return. You won't have the patience to powder properly when you need it.

12. Aug 14, 2011 #11
  13. Aug 14, 2011 #12
    An alternative solution would be to lower the falling bodies slowly by a rope.:confused:

14. Aug 14, 2011 #13
    As you described the problem is not the operation of the receptacle, it's the input that needs to be altered. May I suggest some sort of additive.

Something similar to this.
    Additive technical Specification

15. Aug 14, 2011 #14
    I think you missed the point of his post. Reread the original post with more... unsanitary thoughts

16. Aug 14, 2011 #15
    Thanks, Chris. Due to problems with the output buffering, the input stream was running on minimum bandwidth.

Things are returning to normal now, though. I think posting about it helped. Oh no, I've become this:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/23/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook