How do you motivate yourself to study?

• Thread starter kraphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: I allowed a lot of distractions. Now that I have to focus more, I have to remove all distractions (social media, TV, movies, etc).In summary, one can establish good study habits by sticking to a routine, getting support, and removing distractions.
kraphysics
I think I lack motivation. I go to a sort of "magnet high school where there are many geniuses and extremely hard working people. Compared to them, I constantly feel I am not working hard enough. I slack off, never study until day before exam and finish assignments late. I am probably the laziest person in my school and never had to study hard because I got very good grades! I still manage to get good grades but not excellent ones.. Some people in my school are just brilliant though and really hard working throughout the year. I don't think I can sustain my current studying habits when I'm in University next year. How does one go about establishing a study routine and find motivation to stick to it? I know many of you are very hardworking here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I never started making really good grades until I got to the point in my life where school was my biggest priority because graduate school is the next goal. I need those grades to get into a better graduate school. The other major thing was that I needed to understand these things, not just for a grade, but for my future. Short version, make it a top priority and the study habits will follow. The other thing is just making the first step. It always takes so long to get into that first problem, but then it just sort of flows from there. Good luck, I know it was a tough road for me to learn the study habits I needed for college and I still have a lot of developing to do.

I don't mean to brag but I find that when do work hard, I end up getting top marks even more than those brilliant people. For example, when I studied for Physics, I was only one in my whole grade to achieve perfect score and the teacher was really impressed. But this is not enough. I feel like an underachiever all the time and cannot develop consistent studying habits.

So why do you want to develop better study habits anyway? Dougggggg gave you good advice already. Start by taking small steps.

Dougggggg said:
I never started making really good grades until I got to the point in my life where school was my biggest priority because graduate school is the next goal. I need those grades to get into a better graduate school. The other major thing was that I needed to understand these things, not just for a grade, but for my future.

Yup.

I can really relate kraphysics :) I was thinking about the same thing recently as I was feeling a bit intimidated by some of the people in my physics class, they're forming cliques and acting as if they're better than me. I even held the door for one of them and he gave me this look and didn't say thanks. I started to feel like an idiot until I realized they are probably trying to psych me out because I usually answer a lot of the questions the professor asks in lecture. So just don't psych yourself into thinking they are SO brilliant etc because you know you can do better when you study. Other than that Doug (with extra g's :biggrin:) gave good advice.

Get competitive with yourself and push yourself to be the best is the best advice I can give, as I know you already know how to study.

Good luck with everything!

To be honest, I slap myself when I get distracted

I am returning to school for Physics after essentially failing at University for Engineering almost 10 years ago. I did well in high school, got into a decent school, and ultimatly failed because my study habits sucked (and my lack of maturity at that time caused me to not realize that). Now, I am doing very well (first semester back will be a 3.5 as my lowest grade) by doing a few things:

1) Find a routine. Stick to it. I work nights in an IT job that allows me several hours of homework time in between processes. For this one semester, I have probably spent more time doing homework than I did for my first two years of initial University - and it's paying off. Having a consistent time to do homework every day can mean lots to your success.
2) Get a support mechanism - for me right now, it's a combination of my wife and a few classmates. In my Calc3 class (of 8 people, started with ~15) nearly everyone comes to class an hour early and discusses homework (the room happens to be open before). With only one exception the class is doing very well as a whole and our instructor has recognized that.
3) Remove distractions. In high school I was used to working on what little homework I did while watching TV, listening to music, on IM, etc. I cannot do that any more (this was part of my initial failure). I can do some things with light music on still, but I do turn it off more than not now. (doing homework in a work environment has made this an automatic for me, but some nights when I do work at home as well I have to clear my desk and center myself)
4) Make school work your priority. This may seem a little redundant - but that means maybe missing your favorite sports team play on the weekends or not being the first to beat a new video game. Learn to reward yourself after working on school work will make this easier.
5) Find a routine! I list this twice, because I mean with your life as well as your homework. Getting consistent good food and sleep can be huge in your overall health and state of mind.
6) Get invested with your instructors. My first time through I distanced myself from instructors and professors because I was very intimidated. I'm learning now that relationships are a key part of the university experience, you're not just a number, but an asset to your instructor and the school. As I've gotten to know my instructors and Professors (esspecially degree-related) it has made them incredibly more approachable. I won't neccessarilly be inviting them to my super bowl party, but there's something nice about seeing them in the hall and being able to say 'hi'.
7) Get involved. This is the part where I haven't hit the nail yet, just getting back into things, but the most common advice that I get about going back to school is to get involved. Join your local degree-related society, get involved in a project with a professor, go to those random symposiums. These are all things you'll need to do 'in the real world' so if they honestly don't interest you now, why will they in the future?

mege said:
I am returning to school for Physics after essentially failing at University for Engineering almost 10 years ago. I did well in high school, got into a decent school, and ultimatly failed because my study habits sucked (and my lack of maturity at that time caused me to not realize that).

You give some great advice, Mege.

I was also one of those students who put practically no effort into high school. Heck, I missed so many days of school my senior year that I was warned that I might not graduate that year...not because of my grades (I had a perfect GPA), but because I was just two days shy of the maximum number of absences a student could miss class and still graduate (absences due to hookie, not because of illness or anything). I did the barest amount of homework--usually in class, at lunch, or whenever I could quickly cram it in during the day...I never did any work at home--and never even considered studying. It was just pure luck that I maintained my GPA; I certainly didn't deserve it.

Needless to say, I had the worst study habits when I started college. Plus, I was way too immature for college (I started college when I was 16, which didn't help me in the maturity department). I entered college the first time with the goal of studying physics, but it didn't happen. That first time in school was a complete waste of a free college education (full scholarship).

After growing up, I went back to school to study physics. By then, I was 24 instead of 16, and much more mature. Plus, I no longer had a free ride to college; I had to work, and I took out student loans to pay for tuition.

At that point, like Mege above, I started taking the whole thing much more seriously. For the first time in my life, I put effort into my homework and I actually studied. School became my priority.

There was no magic wand, no short cuts, no tricks for motivation. All the motivation was internal. You just have to want it enough.

Find enjoyment and some relevance to what your studying.
I can't study something unless I'm either a) Really interested in it or b) See some practical use for what I'm learning.

flyingpig said:
to be honest, i slap myself when i get distracted

exactly!

I have the same problems too, and I don't follow the routine that I've set the day before and tend to study whenever I like.. however, when I start to study I can't stop until I finish a few chapters... Also, I'm very competitive, that's why I get motivated when I see others studying (twitter updates etc.) I don't think this is a good way tho.. because I hate losing and I tend to get unhappy all the time when I lose to others ):

azzie said:
I have the same problems too, and I don't follow the routine that I've set the day before and tend to study whenever I like.. however, when I start to study I can't stop until I finish a few chapters... Also, I'm very competitive, that's why I get motivated when I see others studying (twitter updates etc.) I don't think this is a good way tho.. because I hate losing and I tend to get unhappy all the time when I lose to others ):

This is new to me, the idea of studying being compettetive, I am not sure if this is due to me being from england, but I never saw that at school from any pupil, even the brightest.

flyingpig said:
To be honest, I slap myself when I get distracted

:rofl:

I work hard in university because I screwed up junior college terribly. That's just how it is!

azzie said:

I have the same mentality, though I do not recommend it to other because it can led to frustration and disappointment if you can't perform that well. I know that having this one kid in my classes has helped my study habits a whole lot. He is regarded by many in our math department as a genius and rightfully so. He is able to figure things out fairly quickly and doesn't have to put a lot of time into studying. Me and him are the only two math and physics double majors left at our school now (one just graduated) and so we have a lot of classes together. I was talking to someone about how he has all those classes with me and they said that is going to suck to get beaten on every test. I was offended. Well because I couldn't handle the idea of letting those haters be right, I was set on beating him. The beginning of last semester was all his but by the end of the semester I was outscoring him in every class. I didn't do any bragging or anything to that extent, I also wasn't trying to get him off his game by getting him distracted. In fact, I would tell him that he should study or do homework on nights he was just going to say screw it. Plus I just have this thing about wanting to be the person who scores the highest. When I don't, I am very disappointed in myself and believe that I should've studied more. So how about this, I am all for friendly rivalries/competition, just don't let it consume you, that isn't healthy.

Dougggggg said:
I was talking to someone about how he has all those classes with me and they said that is going to suck to get beaten on every test. I was offended. Well because I couldn't handle the idea of letting those haters be right, I was set on beating him. The beginning of last semester was all his but by the end of the semester I was outscoring him in every class. I didn't do any bragging or anything to that extent, I also wasn't trying to get him off his game by getting him distracted. In fact, I would tell him that he should study or do homework on nights he was just going to say screw it. Plus I just have this thing about wanting to be the person who scores the highest. When I don't, I am very disappointed in myself and believe that I should've studied more. So how about this, I am all for friendly rivalries/competition, just don't let it consume you, that isn't healthy.

I have a friend--a female--who has the same competitive attitude, though hers is more gender-oriented. She was motivated to be the best (i.e., highest-scoring) student in all her physics, astronomy, and math classes, and to prove to everyone that girls were at least as good as boys. She graduated as a physics and astronomy double-major with a perfect 4.0 GPA. She's now getting her PhD at Harvard.

I find that striving to beat everyone else in the class, as vain as that may sound, is a great way to push myself to study. Loosing, as long as you win sometimes and get close most of the time, is okay. Take it as a learning experience and a sign that no one knows everything better than everyone.

That, and to truly be interested in the material. Sometimes getting interested requires studying beyond the material in the course to see where the material is applied. For example, you could study basic principles of an engineering discipline, which will undoubtedly use some physics, but also add on to the basic knowledge covered in physics. Seeing where what you're learning now can be used later will give you a better sense of why it is important to study it.

Geezer said:
I have a friend--a female--who has the same competitive attitude, though hers is more gender-oriented. She was motivated to be the best (i.e., highest-scoring) student in all her physics, astronomy, and math classes, and to prove to everyone that girls were at least as good as boys. She graduated as a physics and astronomy double-major with a perfect 4.0 GPA. She's now getting her PhD at Harvard.

Wow, I really admire her. I love a person that is out to break the stereotype and prove people wrong. Especially an ambitious woman because I see too many non-ambitious females these days.

Yea, my mindset leans toward, I want to show that Doug knows this material better than anyone else in this room. I don't take too kindly to second place, I do not have any negative feelings towards the students who manage to do better than me. I am simply very disappointed in any of the time that I spent doing something other than studying.

I can't sit still without music. I just open up a huge trance set and do work. If I try to sit down and do stuff, I can only do it when I know it has immediate impact on my mark.. Assignments and Evaluations.

I want to be a summa cum laude, and that motivates me. :) Even if you failed, atleast you did try your best in all possible way.

Nano-Passion said:
Wow, I really admire her. I love a person that is out to break the stereotype and prove people wrong. Especially an ambitious woman because I see too many non-ambitious females these days.

/thumbs up

Nano-Passion said:

I'm also seeing lots of non-ambitious men ;) In general there are just lots of non-ambitious people, most of the people study something because they have to, they don't want to work right now or something like that. Just a little percentage studies maths because they are fascinated by it.
But I also sometimes have it difficult to study, cause there are so many other nice things where you can spend your time on :p

annelies 123 said:
I'm also seeing lots of non-ambitious men ;) In general there are just lots of non-ambitious people, most of the people study something because they have to, they don't want to work right now or something like that. Just a little percentage studies maths because they are fascinated by it.
But I also sometimes have it difficult to study, cause there are so many other nice things where you can spend your time on :p

Ahh my friend, this is where life truly gets complicated.

What makes it even more complicated is being too ambitious where you have soo many plans for your future but frankly only one life of a maximum 100 years. But things get less efficient as you approach 60.

Nano-Passion said:
Ahh my friend, this is where life truly gets complicated.

What makes it even more complicated is being too ambitious where you have soo many plans for your future but frankly only one life of a maximum 100 years. But things get less efficient as you approach 60.

True indead.. I'm in a youthmovement, I'm enjoying student life, i'd love to pick up doing sport, i play chess and I'm studying math.. Lots of things. I already realized it's hard to combine, but your just once young (i'm very young: 16 :p), some people say I'm to serious for my age, but i don't want to mess up the possibilities I have.

Nano-Passion said:

I don't admire her for her gender unlike you. That is just as wrong as not admiring her for her gender.

I simply set a schedule that includes study and, and hold myself to it no matter what. Even when I feel as though I fully understand a topic, if "study that topic" is on my agenda I, I do it. Many times I come across things I did not know that have shown up on tests and such.

I also like to keep a check-list of things I don't fully understand, or am just curious about. I'll add things to the list during a lecture, or while reading the books, and then incorporate that/those topic(s) into my next scheduled study-time.

Another thing that I do is schedule my courses about two hours apart. I do 2 hours because it's not long enough to warrant driving home (where I will never get studying done). So I simply spend that time going over material, or working ahead in the course so I am not surprised when I encounter a problem or idea that I find difficult.

1. How can I stay motivated to study when I am feeling overwhelmed?

It can be difficult to stay motivated when you are feeling overwhelmed. One strategy is to break your studying into smaller, manageable chunks. Set specific goals for each study session and reward yourself after completing them. It's also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

2. How do I motivate myself to study when I am not interested in the subject?

Finding ways to connect the subject to your personal interests or future goals can help with motivation. You can also try changing your study environment or incorporating different study techniques, such as creating flashcards or working with a study group.

3. What are some effective ways to motivate myself to study on a regular basis?

Creating a study schedule and setting specific goals can help with consistency. It's also important to have a designated study space and eliminate distractions. Rewarding yourself after completing your study sessions can also serve as motivation.

4. How can I stay motivated to study when I am not seeing immediate results?

Remember that studying is a process and it takes time to see results. Focus on the progress you are making, rather than immediate results. Remind yourself of your long-term goals and how studying will help you achieve them.

5. How do I stay motivated to study when I am feeling tired or unmotivated?

Incorporating breaks and self-care into your study routine can help combat feelings of fatigue. Setting a timer for short study sessions can also help you stay focused and motivated. If you continue to feel unmotivated, it may be helpful to reassess your study methods or seek support from a teacher or tutor.