1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you prove that some point is the *only* accumulation point in a set?

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm using the following definition of an accumulation point:

A point [itex]a \in \textbb{R}[/itex] is an accumulation point of a set [itex]A\subset \textbb{R}[/itex] if every [itex]\epsilon-[/itex]neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex] contains at least one element of [itex]A[/itex] distinct from [itex]a[/itex].

Now, given the set [itex]A=\{\frac{1}{n}:n\in \textbb{Z}^+\}[/itex], I'm trying to prove that the only accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex] is 0.

2. The attempt at a solution

I was able to prove that 0 is an accumulation point, but my question is about proving there can't be any others.

Intuitively, it makes sense to me because any element between 0 and 1 is either an element of [itex]A[/itex] or between two elements of [itex]A[/itex]. In either case, you can take [itex]\epsilon[/itex] small enough to not include any elements of [itex]A[/itex].

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how to formulate this in a way that would be considered rigorous.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Having the right picture of the problem is the first step. And you've got that. Given n, what's an epsilon the would be less than both (1/n-1/(n+1)) and (1/(n-1)-1/n)? If you can find one, that would fulfill your intuitive sense in a rigorous way. Yes?

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be any number other than 0. Show that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not an accumulation point.

You probably should do two cases: (1) [itex]alpha> 0[/itex] and (2) [itex]\alpha[/itex]< 0. Sjhow that there are only finite number of n such that [itex]|1/n|> \alpha[/itex].

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, how about letting z be an accumulation point, and then prove that it must equal zero?
    That is, prove the uniqueness of zero as an accumulation point!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?