How do you prove that some point is the *only* accumulation point in a set?

• Thread starter killian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Set
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of accumulation points and proving that 0 is the only accumulation point of the set A=\{\frac{1}{n}:n\in \textbb{Z}^+\}. The speaker mentions their intuitive understanding of the problem and their difficulty in formulating a rigorous proof. They are advised to find an epsilon that would satisfy their intuitive sense. Another suggestion is to consider two cases, when \alpha is greater or less than 0, and show that there are only a finite number of n such that |1/n|> \alpha. Lastly, the speaker is advised to prove the uniqueness of zero as an accumulation point.
killian

Homework Statement

I'm using the following definition of an accumulation point:

A point [itex]a \in \textbb{R}[/itex] is an accumulation point of a set [itex]A\subset \textbb{R}[/itex] if every [itex]\epsilon-[/itex]neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex] contains at least one element of [itex]A[/itex] distinct from [itex]a[/itex].

Now, given the set [itex]A=\{\frac{1}{n}:n\in \textbb{Z}^+\}[/itex], I'm trying to prove that the only accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex] is 0.

2. The attempt at a solution

I was able to prove that 0 is an accumulation point, but my question is about proving there can't be any others.

Intuitively, it makes sense to me because any element between 0 and 1 is either an element of [itex]A[/itex] or between two elements of [itex]A[/itex]. In either case, you can take [itex]\epsilon[/itex] small enough to not include any elements of [itex]A[/itex].

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how to formulate this in a way that would be considered rigorous.

Physics news on Phys.org
Having the right picture of the problem is the first step. And you've got that. Given n, what's an epsilon the would be less than both (1/n-1/(n+1)) and (1/(n-1)-1/n)? If you can find one, that would fulfill your intuitive sense in a rigorous way. Yes?

Let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be any number other than 0. Show that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not an accumulation point.

You probably should do two cases: (1) [itex]alpha> 0[/itex] and (2) [itex]\alpha[/itex]< 0. Sjhow that there are only finite number of n such that [itex]|1/n|> \alpha[/itex].

Well, how about letting z be an accumulation point, and then prove that it must equal zero?
That is, prove the uniqueness of zero as an accumulation point!

1. How do you define an accumulation point in a set?

An accumulation point in a set is a point that can be approached arbitrarily closely by infinitely many other points in the set. In other words, every neighborhood of the accumulation point contains infinitely many points of the set.

2. What is the significance of proving that a point is the only accumulation point in a set?

Proving that a point is the only accumulation point in a set allows us to understand the behavior of the set near that particular point. It can also help in determining the limit points and closure of the set.

3. What methods can be used to prove that a point is the only accumulation point in a set?

There are several methods that can be used to prove that a point is the only accumulation point in a set. These include the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, the Cauchy criterion for convergence, and the sequential characterization of accumulation points.

4. Can a set have more than one accumulation point?

Yes, a set can have multiple accumulation points. However, if a set has only one accumulation point, then that point is also the limit point and the closure of the set.

5. How does the concept of accumulation points relate to the concept of limits in calculus?

The concept of accumulation points is closely related to the concept of limits in calculus. In fact, the accumulation point is the generalization of the limit point in calculus. The limit of a function at a particular point can be thought of as the accumulation point of the set of values of the function near that point.