How Do You Prove the Limit of sin(t)/sqrt(t) as t Approaches Infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Bipolarity
Messages
773
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



[tex]\lim_{t→∞}\frac{sin (t)}{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


This was actually part of a larger problem about improper integrals. The problem has been reduced to this, but I have no idea how to proceed from here. I know that sin(x) behaves very bizarrely at infinity, so I don't know if L'Hopital's rule can even be applied here.

My intuition tells me that the answer is 0, but how can we prove this? Must we refer to the ε-δ definition?

BiP
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the maximum and minimum possible values that sin(t) can ever achieve?
 
Bipolarity said:

Homework Statement



[tex]\lim_{t→∞}\frac{sin (t)}{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


This was actually part of a larger problem about improper integrals. The problem has been reduced to this, but I have no idea how to proceed from here. I know that sin(x) behaves very bizarrely at infinity, so I don't know if L'Hopital's rule can even be applied here.

My intuition tells me that the answer is 0, but how can we prove this? Must we refer to the ε-δ definition?

BiP
Use the squeeze theorem.

What's [itex]\lim_{t→∞}\ 1/\sqrt{t}\ ?[/itex]

How about giving us the entire problem?
 
Ah, good old squeeze theorem why didn't I think of that?

Thanks guys!

BiP
 
The original problem (for Sammy):

[tex]\int^{π}_{0}\frac{dt}{\sqrt{t}+sin(t)}[/tex]

BiP