1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behavior of DE as t approaches infinity

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y' = -2 + t - y

Draw a slope field and determine behavior as t -> infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the first DE in my book that includes t in the differential equation. The slope field looks pretty wacky. For the others I was able to see the behavior easily through the slope field because it didn't change along the t axis. Now, just looking at the slope field won't do.

How does one determine the behavior as t approaches infinity here? (without solving the equation!)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2
    Is [itex]y[/itex] constant as [itex]t[/itex] increases? If so, then [itex]y'[/itex] increases as [itex]t[/itex] increases; furthermore, [itex]y'[/itex] increases without bound as [itex]t[/itex] increases without bound.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. Jun 28, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, no, y is NOT constant as t changes! The whole point of a differential equation is that y is a function of t. And how could y' increase (or be anything but 0) if y is constant?

1MileCrash, what does the slope field look like for large t? If it looks, say, like a straight line, try y= Ax+ B and put into the equation to find A and B.

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4
    Well think in terms Of equilibrium points. We know that y is max/min/or saddle at y'=0, so your max or min would fall on y=t-2, which would imply y goes to infinity as t does

6. Jun 28, 2012 #5
    How should I draw a slope field for large t? What should I do with the y's? Make them large too? Leave them the same? Couldn't the slope field be any number of things for large t depending on what y's I consider?

Thanks again.

7. Jun 30, 2012 #6
    Perhaps I shouldn't have phrased whether [itex]y[/itex] varies or not as a question. Of course [itex]y[/itex] varies; however, what can one say about the general behavior of [itex]y'[/itex] as [itex]t[/itex] increases without bound without restricting [itex]y[/itex] to a constant value?

You ask how [itex]y'[/itex] would increase if [itex]y[/itex] were constant. [itex]y' = -2 + t - y[/itex] is given. Let [itex]y = y_0[/itex] for some constant [itex]y_0[/itex]. Then, [itex]y' = -2 + t - y_0[/itex], from which it is clear [itex]y'[/itex] is an increasing function of [itex]t[/itex].

Alternatively, consider the slope field for the given differential equation. Restricting [itex]y[/itex] to a constant value [itex]y_0[/itex] is equivalent to restricting the slope field to only those points on the line [itex]y = y_0[/itex]. The restricted slope field shows [itex]y'[/itex] is an increasing function of [itex]t[/itex].

In answer to your last question, yes. The slope at any given point on the slope field depends on both [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. The slope field calculator hosted by Rutgers at http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~sontag/JODE/JOdeApplet.html might be useful to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook