Behavior of DE as t approaches infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the behavior of a differential equation as t approaches infinity, specifically for the equation y' = -2 + t - y. It is mentioned that the slope field for this equation looks unusual and may require additional steps to determine the behavior. The conversation also touches on the concept of equilibrium points and the role of y in the equation. It is suggested to use a slope field calculator to plot the slope field for large t.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

y' = -2 + t - y

Draw a slope field and determine behavior as t -> infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first DE in my book that includes t in the differential equation. The slope field looks pretty wacky. For the others I was able to see the behavior easily through the slope field because it didn't change along the t axis. Now, just looking at the slope field won't do.

How does one determine the behavior as t approaches infinity here? (without solving the equation!)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is [itex]y[/itex] constant as [itex]t[/itex] increases? If so, then [itex]y'[/itex] increases as [itex]t[/itex] increases; furthermore, [itex]y'[/itex] increases without bound as [itex]t[/itex] increases without bound.

Last edited:
Well, no, y is NOT constant as t changes! The whole point of a differential equation is that y is a function of t. And how could y' increase (or be anything but 0) if y is constant?

1MileCrash, what does the slope field look like for large t? If it looks, say, like a straight line, try y= Ax+ B and put into the equation to find A and B.

Well think in terms Of equilibrium points. We know that y is max/min/or saddle at y'=0, so your max or min would fall on y=t-2, which would imply y goes to infinity as t does

HallsofIvy said:
Well, no, y is NOT constant as t changes! The whole point of a differential equation is that y is a function of t. And how could y' increase (or be anything but 0) if y is constant?

1MileCrash, what does the slope field look like for large t? If it looks, say, like a straight line, try y= Ax+ B and put into the equation to find A and B.

How should I draw a slope field for large t? What should I do with the y's? Make them large too? Leave them the same? Couldn't the slope field be any number of things for large t depending on what y's I consider?

Thanks again.

HallsofIvy said:

Perhaps I shouldn't have phrased whether [itex]y[/itex] varies or not as a question. Of course [itex]y[/itex] varies; however, what can one say about the general behavior of [itex]y'[/itex] as [itex]t[/itex] increases without bound without restricting [itex]y[/itex] to a constant value?

You ask how [itex]y'[/itex] would increase if [itex]y[/itex] were constant. [itex]y' = -2 + t - y[/itex] is given. Let [itex]y = y_0[/itex] for some constant [itex]y_0[/itex]. Then, [itex]y' = -2 + t - y_0[/itex], from which it is clear [itex]y'[/itex] is an increasing function of [itex]t[/itex].

Alternatively, consider the slope field for the given differential equation. Restricting [itex]y[/itex] to a constant value [itex]y_0[/itex] is equivalent to restricting the slope field to only those points on the line [itex]y = y_0[/itex]. The restricted slope field shows [itex]y'[/itex] is an increasing function of [itex]t[/itex].

1MileCrash said:
How should I draw a slope field for large t? What should I do with the y's? Make them large too? Leave them the same? Couldn't the slope field be any number of things for large t depending on what y's I consider?

Thanks again.

In answer to your last question, yes. The slope at any given point on the slope field depends on both [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. The slope field calculator hosted by Rutgers at http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~sontag/JODE/JOdeApplet.html might be useful to you.

1. What is the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity?

The behavior of DE (differential equations) as t approaches infinity depends on the specific equation and its initial conditions. In general, there are three possible behaviors: approaching a steady-state solution, oscillating between different solutions, or diverging to infinity.

2. How can we determine the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity?

The behavior of DE as t approaches infinity can be determined by solving the equation and analyzing its long-term behavior. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer simulations. Additionally, understanding the physical context of the equation can also provide insights into its behavior.

3. What is the significance of studying the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity?

Studying the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity is important in understanding the long-term dynamics of a system. It can help predict the behavior of a system over time, identify any steady-state solutions, and determine the stability of a system.

4. Are there any real-world applications of studying the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity?

Yes, the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the population growth of a species, the decay of radioactive materials, or the fluctuations in stock prices.

5. Can the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity be influenced or controlled?

In some cases, the behavior of DE as t approaches infinity can be influenced or controlled by changing the initial conditions or parameters of the equation. However, in other cases, the behavior may be inherently unpredictable and cannot be controlled.