How do you rationalize a demoninator if the denominator is a cube root

• Thread starter mileena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Root
In summary, Mileena, you can simplify a cubed root by squaring it and then multiplying by the original cubed root.
mileena
Hi, I know how to rationalize a denominator when it is a square root monomial or a square root binomial (through conjugation).

For example, for a square-root monomial:

5/√25 =

[5(√25)]/
[(√25)(√25)] =

[5(√25)]/25 =

(√25)/5 =

1 or -1and, for a square-root binomial:

5/(5 + √25) =

5(5 - √25)/
[(5 + √25)(5 - √25)] =

[5(5 - √25)]/
25 -25 =

0/0 [undefined] or 50/0 [undefined] But what if the denominator is a cube root:

x/(3√11) ?

How do you simplify this (assuming the denominator isn't a perfect cube)? I didn't get a question similar to this correct on my assessment test.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The example cube root you ask for seem not tricky because 27 already is a cube. The cubed root of 27 is 3, so the denominator is already rationalized.

How about something like this: [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt[3]{28}}[/itex]
Multiply by 1 in the form of [itex]\frac{\sqrt[3]{28}}{\sqrt[3]{28}}[/itex]

Result is [itex]\frac{x\sqrt[3]{28}}{28}[/itex]

EDIT: That was already posted in this same posting but already responded to, when I realize now I made a big mistake.

This example is for a cube root. With the (1/(28)^(1/3)) denominator, I should have shown multiplying numerator and denominator this way:
[itex]\frac{\sqrt[3]{28}}{\sqrt[3]{28}}\cdot\frac{\sqrt[3]{28}}{\sqrt[3]{28}}[/itex]

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
The example cube root you ask for seem not tricky because 27 already is a cube. The cubed root of 27 is 3, so the denominator is already rationalized.

How about something like this: [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt[3]{28}}[/itex]
Multiply by 1 in the form of [itex]\frac{\sqrt[3]{28}}{\sqrt[3]{28}}[/itex]

Result is [itex]\frac{x\sqrt[3]{28}}{28}[/itex]

But doesn't

(3√28) x (3√28) = 3√282) ??

[because 281/3 + 281/3 = 282/3,
because of the rule (xa) (xb) = xa+b ]

Also, I edited my original post to eliminate the perfect cube in the denominator.

Last edited:
mileena said:
But doesn't

(3√28) x (3√28) = 3√282) ??

(because the exponents 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/3)

Also, I edited my original post to eliminate the perfect cube in the denominator.

Find a value of ##n## in $$\frac{x}{11^{1/3}} \cdot \frac{11^n}{11^n}$$ such that the denominator is rational.

CAF123 said:
Find a value of ##n## in $$\frac{x}{11^{1/3}} \cdot \frac{11^n}{11^n}$$ such that the denominator is rational.

That helps a lot!

What if I multiply by: 112/3/112/3

So the denominator will be (111/3)(112/3) = 11 !

So the final answer will be (x3√112)/11

mileena said:
That helps a lot!

What if I multiply by: 112/3/112/3

So the denominator will be (111/3)(112/3) = 11 !

So the final answer will be (x3√112)/11

Correct.

Thanks! I finally got something right :tongue2:

mileena said:
Thanks! I finally got something right :tongue2:

mileena,
please recheck my post. I found my mistake and added better information. We square a square root to bring back the number under the radical. We cube a cubed root to bring back the number under the radical.

What is a denominator?

A denominator is the bottom number in a fraction, representing the total number of equal parts that make up a whole.

What is a cube root?

A cube root is a number that when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original number. In other words, it is the number that, when cubed, gives the original number.

How do you rationalize a denominator if it is a cube root?

To rationalize the denominator, you need to eliminate any cube roots in the denominator. This can be done by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the cube root of the denominator. This will result in a rationalized fraction with no cube roots in the denominator.

Why is it important to rationalize a denominator?

Rationalizing the denominator allows for easier computation and comparison of fractions. It also helps to simplify expressions and make them more manageable.

Are there any exceptions when rationalizing a denominator that is a cube root?

Yes, if the cube root in the denominator is already in its simplest form, then there is no need to rationalize it. Also, if the cube root in the denominator is part of a larger expression, it may be more beneficial to leave it as is rather than trying to rationalize it.