How do you remove water droplets inside watch?

• Thread starter chrisalviola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch Water
In summary, if you have accidentally washed your watch and there is moisture and small water droplets inside, it is recommended to either take it to a jeweler or watchmaker, or try popping the back off and letting it sit for a few days to dry with the cover off. If the watch is valuable, it is best to take it to a professional. Other options include using silica gel dessicant packages or putting the watch in a container with Dryrite. Be cautious when using heat to dry the watch and try to remove it from the case if possible.
chrisalviola
I forgot to take my watch inside my clothes pocket and when I washed my clothes my watch formed some moisture and small water droplets inside, I let it dry under the sun for3-4 hours every day but still there's moisture inside, it seems won't go away. what do you recommend I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd first try just popping the back off (where the battery is located) and let it sit for a few days to dry with the cover off so the moisture can get back out, i.e., don't wear it while trying to get it to dry.

thats the problem there I can't open the back plate.

If its an expensive watch I'd take it to a local jeweler or watch maker and see what they recommend.

chrisalviola said:
thats the problem there I can't open the back plate.
If the watch is valuable, take it to a jeweler. If it's not, even the jewelry counter at a discount store can pop it open.

Edit: Great minds think alike.

ok will try to bring this to a local jeweler tnks, I was hoping there's a technique for these meybe in an oven or a dehydrator maybe.

chrisalviola said:
ok will try to bring this to a local jeweler tnks, I was hoping there's a technique for these meybe in an oven or a dehydrator maybe.
The damage to the workings may be irreversible at this point and drying alone won't help.

If its a fairly inexpensive metal watch case, use a knife to pop the back of the bezel off. Just use the blade at the little rectangular spot on the back of the bezel. Its just like using a jewelers wrench.

Here's a photographer's trick: Find as many of those silica gel dessicant packages ("do not eat! Throw away!") as you can, and seal them up with the watch in a zip-lock bag and leave them in a warm place. As has been said, damage may already be done.

Chi Meson said:
Here's a photographer's trick: Find as many of those silica gel dessicant packages ("do not eat! Throw away!") as you can, and seal them up with the watch in a zip-lock bag and leave them in a warm place. As has been said, damage may already be done.

thats a good idea tnks.

If the drops are bothering you just put the watch in a glass of water until it is completely full of water and you won't notice the drops

tribdog said:
If the drops are bothering you just put the watch in a glass of water until it is completely full of water and you won't notice the drops

:rofl: When I saw your name replying to this, I was expecting the advice to be to heat the watch with a MAPP torch to evaporate out all the water. :wink:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: When I saw your name replying to this, I was expecting the advice to be to heat the watch with a MAPP torch to evaporate out all the water. :wink:

I thought about that, but when I tried it on my watch I burned the heck out of my wrist

tribdog said:
I thought about that, but when I tried it on my watch I burned the heck out of my wrist

I'm dead. DoL. I've died. I'm dead.:snarf: Rofl::eek:

Last edited:
tribdog said:
You are supposed to put the watch on your living-room carpet when you use a torch to dry it.

turbo-1 said:
You are supposed to put the watch on your living-room carpet when you use a torch to dry it.

And then flip the square of carpet to cover the damage?

NeoDevin said:
I see you've been following closely!

Go somewhere where they sell hearing aids and ask for the little container thing that extracts moisture out of small thing (like hearing aids). Buy one for like $10. If you put it in there every night, you'll never see droplets of water in your watch.

Putting a watch in a 120F or even 150F oven for a few hours should dry it out without causing any damage. Be careful, though, and use a thermometer -- many household ovens do not properly indicate temperatures this low.

- Warren

chrisalviola said:
I forgot to take my watch inside my clothes pocket and when I washed my clothes my watch formed some moisture and small water droplets inside, I let it dry under the sun for3-4 hours every day but still there's moisture inside, it seems won't go away. what do you recommend I should do?

Stick it in a desiccator filled with Dryrite. Wait until the dryrite turns pink. It will definitely work.

Remove the back cover and let it dry out. Replace the back cover when it is dry. You may need to clean the crystal if there are water spots after it is dry. There is also water in the interior of the watch which can cause real problems unless you really dry it out. Removing the cover is the fastest and surest way.

NeoDevin said:

And then use your phone to post on PF how great it worked.

Math Jeans said:
And then use your phone to post on PF how great it worked.
I will need to boost reception of the wi-fi signal. How can this be done?

My brother owns a clock/watch repair store. He said what Evo said about taking it to a jeweler. If it were his watch he would open the back(it will either screw off or pry off) and blow it with a hair dryer. He also says it would be best to remove the watch from the case but "BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE STEM, SCRATCH THE COIL OR CIRCUIT."

1. How do you know if there are water droplets inside a watch?

Water droplets inside a watch can cause the dial to fog up or the hands to appear blurry. You may also notice condensation on the inside of the crystal or water beads floating inside the watch.

2. Can I remove the water droplets myself?

It is not recommended to try and remove water droplets inside a watch yourself, as it requires specialized tools and expertise. Attempting to do so may damage the watch and void the warranty.

3. How does water get inside a watch?

Water can seep into a watch through small gaps or cracks in the case, or if the watch is exposed to high levels of humidity. It can also enter through the crown or buttons if they are not screwed in tightly.

4. How do professionals remove water droplets from a watch?

Professionals use a combination of heat and vacuum to remove water droplets from a watch. The watch is placed in a heated chamber to evaporate the water, and then a vacuum pump is used to remove the water vapor from the chamber.

5. How can I prevent water droplets from forming inside my watch?

To prevent water droplets from forming inside your watch, make sure to always screw in the crown and buttons tightly to prevent water from entering. Avoid exposing your watch to high levels of humidity or water, and have it serviced regularly to check for any potential gaps or cracks in the case.