How Do You Solve Complex Ratio Problems in Chemistry?

• Thread starter roger12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the problem involves finding the ratios of A, B, and C in a compound based on given properties. For the first problem, A is 3/8 of the compound, leaving 5/8 for B and C. Using the ratio of 1:2 for B and C, we can determine that B is 1/3 of the whole and C is 2/3 of the whole.
roger12

Homework Statement

In each of the following the properties of a compound are given. In each case find A:B:C

1. 3/8 of A with B and C 1:2

2. A, B, C are mixed according to the ratios A:B=1:7 and B:C=13:9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't seem to solve these two. I got no idea where to even start. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll help but show an attempt.

Last edited:
1. You know A is 3/8 of the compound, so how much is left over for B and C?

daveb said:
1. You know A is 3/8 of the compound, so how much is left over for B and C?

So that leaves 5/8 of B and C which are in the ratio 1:2.

Would then be:

3/8 of A, 5/8 of B and [ 5/8]/2 of C

?

roger12 said:
Would then be:

3/8 of A, 5/8 of B and [ 5/8]/2 of C

?

Not in the way I'm reading your problem. Does the numbers you have "assigned" for B and C, added together, give you 5/8? It does not.

If you have, say, X and Y in a ratio of 1:2, that means that X has to be 1/3 of the whole, while Y is 2/3 of the whole. Use this hint to figure out what fractions go with B and C if together they are 5/8 (of the compound).

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Ratio Problems in Chemistry?

What are ratio problems?

Ratio problems involve comparing the relationship between two or more quantities using a ratio, which is a comparison of two numbers expressed in the form of a fraction or with a colon (:).

How do I solve ratio problems?

To solve ratio problems, you can use a variety of methods such as cross-multiplication, equivalent ratios, or setting up and solving proportions. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before choosing a method to solve it.

What are some common types of ratio problems?

Some common types of ratio problems include finding a missing term in a ratio, simplifying ratios, and comparing ratios between two or more groups.

Can you provide an example of solving a ratio problem?

Yes, for example, if a recipe calls for 2 cups of flour for every 3 cups of sugar, and you only have 6 cups of sugar, how many cups of flour should you use? This can be solved by setting up the ratio 2/3 = x/6 and then cross-multiplying to get x = 4 cups of flour.

What are some tips for solving ratio problems efficiently?

Some tips for solving ratio problems efficiently include identifying and labeling the quantities involved, setting up clear and organized equations or proportions, and checking your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.