How Do You Solve the Limit of (5-x) / (3 - sqrt(x^2 - 16)) as x Approaches 5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alexstre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limits Zero
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Alexstre
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hello!

I'm trying to find the following limit:
[tex]{\lim_{x \to 5}}\ {5-x \over {3-\sqrt{x^2 -16}}[/tex]

I tried 2 things
Simplifying the bottom:
[tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] = [tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-4^2}[/tex] = 3-x-4 = -1-x

But that doesn't help with what's on top...

I also tried multiplying top and bottom by:
[tex]3+\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] but I still ended up with 0/non-zero.

Could anyone point me into the right direction, or correct me if one of those 2 steps was right?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you figure Sqrt(x^2 - 4^2) = x - 4?

Have you thought of differentiating the numerator and the denominator, then taking the limit of their ratio?
 
If the limit is zero over non-zero, the limit is just zero. But in this case I'm getting the limit to be 0/0, yeah?
 
Alexstre said:
Hello!

I'm trying to find the following limit:
[tex]{\lim_{x \to 5}}\ {5-x \over {3-\sqrt{x^2 -16}}[/tex]

I tried 2 things
Simplifying the bottom:
[tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] = [tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-4^2}[/tex] = 3-x-4 = -1-x
This is wrong. [itex]\sqrt{x^2- 4^2}[/itex] is NOT x- 4.

But that doesn't help with what's on top...
Good! That prevented you from getting the wrong answer!

I also tried multiplying top and bottom by:
[tex]3+\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] but I still ended up with 0/non-zero.
Really? WHAT did you get when you did that? I do NOT get "0/non-zero".

Could anyone point me into the right direction, or correct me if one of those 2 steps was right?

Thanks!
I recommend you recheck your algebra. In particular, what is
[tex]\left(\frac{5-x}{3-\sqrt{x^2- 16}}\right)\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{x^2- 16}}{3+\sqrt{x^2- 16}}\right)[/tex]

By the way, as MATdaveLACK said, there is nothing wrong with getting "0/non-zero": that would just mean the limit is 0. However, here, that is wrong.